What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings?

Hi i just heard that you can cut a part of your VFT and plant it and make it grow? Also someone has also said that they will trade me for a cutting off my dentae? But i dont know which part of the plant to cut!

Actually, you grab the leaf, and pull down on the leaf, all the way down, and take some of the rhizome (white part of the bottom), and lay the leaf on it's side, and plant it in sphagnum peat in a humid place, and use fungicide to prevent fungal infections from the humidity.
smile.gif
Just my $0.02

hey I was wonderin to is the what is the white stuff like u meen the root or is ther white stuff just below the suface that is root just beginnig to form or is it part of the bulb

sorry for all the questions I'm interested too

The base of the VFTs leaves form a rhizome, which is an underground stem that has both roots and shoots.

So, you don't actually have to uproot the plant to get to the rhizome? Can you just dig in a little? I'm curious too. (lots of friends interested in the carnivores and I'd love to share) How long does it take for them to grow into adults? Is it as long as a seedling? Sorry for so many questions and thanks.

You can remove the leaf (with the white rhizome) without uprooting the entire plant, but do it carefully as to not upset the main root system. The white rhizome is very fragile and may break off, if not careful.

Remove the soil (or peat moss) to expose the section of leaf you plan to cut. Peel the leaf off gently in a downward motion to remove the white part. The roots do not have to be attached.

Cover the white portion (rhizome) with peat moss and keep moist and humid. It may take 6-12 weeks for new growth to appear...so be patient. During this time, part or all of the green section of the leaf may turn black...leave it alone !!! It still may grow.

How big the new growth will be is partly based on the size of the leaf cutting. But for the most part, the new shoot will be small, but bigger than a seedling. It will still take 2-3 years for it to grow to mature size.

Hope that helps.
biggrin.gif

Rhizomes, i remember that from my plant biology class...I vaguely remember that ferns grow off of rhizomes. So does that mean a VFT is a fern?

I don't know what the defining lines are to make a plant a fern but i don't think vfts are. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the details WayCool. I've read about it before but never had the guts to do it because I didn't know exactly what the rhizome is. Now I can do it.

Your right Shauntell, VFT's are not ferns. Many plants form rhizomes. The only other that I can think of at the moment though, is the Iris.

I actually made a whole bunch of root cuttings too, but not by my choice. I usually leave my vfts outside, but this time i left it on the porch and the next day i found half the traps ripped off with nibbles in many of them and my biggest best trap uprooted to dry!...i hope it can recover...
so now i try my best to protect them and cover them and i even have a safekeeping vft on my high high window outside...

o so i was just wondering...since i just started the root cuttings about a week ago, would i have to put them through dormancy also?, or is that too risky for the new plantlets as they might die?

When taking leaf cuttings, are there any benefits from using a rooting hormone? I have not done leaf cuttings before, only rooted divisions of the bulb. I would think a rooting hormone would help, but would like some input from people who have used it and who have not.

thanks
confused.gif

Back