What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat & Perlite, or Peat & Sand?

P

PopperFart

yes, an other n00b question by yours truly, PopperFart. i was just exploring the website, and was looking through the catalog. and i saw soil mixtures for transplanting, and other uses. i was just wondering what would be better? Peat & Perlite, or Peat & Sand? AND, if any of you have ever order either one from this website, can you please give me an idea of how much they give you, and thanks!
biggrin.gif

It's funny because I've been through the same situation. I saw the catalog and posted the same question. Most people haven't used the sand mixture, but those who have have said that the Peat&Perlite mixture works best. After all, it is the one Exotic Gardens ships their plants in.
biggrin.gif

i have to admit its the best.

I have never actually tried the sand mixture. All my CP's are in peat/sphagnum/perilite mix or sphaghnum/perilite. I would have to say that the perilite is probably a better choice because it holds moisture more than sand would and it also lets it breathe. Sand would probably let the plant breathe just fine but it may not hold the moisture that the perilite would.

actually i believe perelite makes air pockets so the soil doesn't get to pact as it would with pure peat moss.  the idea of perlite or sand is it provides these air pockets and keeps the soil not so pact. (vermiculite holds moisture) if i remember my horticulture class corectly for like 6 years ago.  i am just trying the sand mixture for seeds.  infact i have sprouts as of today.
lates,
andrew

For me, perlite is a better option. Sand is heavy to use in soil mixtures that are used in small bowl terrariums. Perlite is light and easy to mix. The only drawback I have found is that it floats to the top unless a layer of sphagum peat moss is used over the surface. Otherwise, I like it.

I will say that this is the first year that I have use a peat/perlite mixture. I have always used long fiber sphagnum moss until a few months ago. I still use it, but haven't in my new plantings.

Hi,
I can confirm perlite is better than sand, and as it mixes well with the moss peat. You can check out the quality of my plants at the bottom few photos of the VFT on my gallery page on the URL below. They thrive on a mix 3:1, moss peat:perlite.

For me, I find that live moss is the best medium, although it requires some fussing to keep it from overgrowing the plants. The acidity and aeration are a real plus, and the moss provides antibacterial support, and helps cool the plant by providing evaporative cooling. It doesn't break down as fast as peat (VFT's hate the medium too compact around their roots), and it is very easy to flush the pots using it.

In all cases, sand is not of benefit: unless very pure the minerals in it will only cause grief as Dionaea is very sensitive to minerals.

Back