What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft and other cp's arriving soon....

alien.gif
Ok everybody, I have a Red Dragon VFT, a Lowland Nepenthes and a CP starter kit coming in any day now and I was wondering what I should do upon first bringing my new babies home - are they going to be stressed or in shock from the trip? what should I do at first to ease them into my care? I know this sounds like a weird question but I am familiar with receiving invertebrates after a long trip and they have to be acclimated after a long stressful trip often from the other side of the country...I was thinking that plants being living creatures might also need some special care upon arrival.Am I correct in this assumption? I really,really do not want to screw this up as I am so excited about my new plants coming in...I have been waiting for the UPS guy every day now with bated breath..hehehehe I want to try and avoid making any ridiculous newbie mistakes if I can possibly do so...so I am asking a LOT of questions of you guys and gals....sorry if I am annoying
confused.gif
I dont mean to be!!!
wow.gif
I am spending more and more time on this discussion board trying to familiarize myself with the terminology and the various people in the CP hobby..I am making progress!!!!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

The Evil Spider Hunter

For me, it depends on where these plants are coming from. If a trusted commercial place like PFT, the plants usually arrive in great shape and ready to plant without much more than a cursory look.

If from a hobbyist, I first carefully unpack and take a close look for evidence of bugs, disease, or plant companions that I may not want to spread to my other plants. I then wash the soil from the roots. I then spray the plant with a fungicide, and plant it in my soil mix. If I saw evidence of bugs, I spray it with a systemic insecticide.

I put the plant in a bright area with filtered light (not in direct sun). Over the next few weeks, I gradually move it to areas with higher light intensity, depending on the plant's preferences. I also watch the new plant for evidence of stress, bugs, disease, and unwanted companions.

The fungicide and insecticide treatments may seem overly cautious, but I have had a number of bad experiences when introducing new plants from outside sources. Some growers are even more cautious and only grow new introductions from seed.

The Red dragon is a little trickier the a typical vft. I don't mean to discourage you but it will not tolerate some mistakes that typicals will. Make sure you give it enough light and that it get enough water. Use only rain, distilled or ro water. One of the hardest things is don't play with the traps. It shouldn't be too stressed when you get it, and it should continue to grow without any problems. Red dragons tend to be smaller and weaker then other vft's.

For the lowland nepenthe, It will surely be some what stressed. One thing these plants don't like is change. If it's potted leave it in it's pot until it recovers from the trip (one to two months). I wouldn't advise you to repot but if you have to repot, wait for a few months and make sure you use the correct soil mixture. It's growth will probably be stunted when you first get it. The best way to get this plant over it's trip is to give it heat, humidity and air circulation. and leave it alone. It will not like being touched, turned and moved around at first. Don't use the tray method to water these plants. Water it from overhead about ever other day. Keep the soil moist. What kind of nepenthe is it?

You chose some harder than normal plants to grow. Good luck. But if you make a mistake try an easier plant next time and work your way up.

Back