What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I put my VFT in the pond?

• Thread starter sebblit7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pond vft
S

sebblit7

Hi All

I just put my VFT, in its' pot, into the fishpond.

Is this a bad idea?

Steve

Well it realy depends like if it stays too wet the roots may rot hm... that's about the only thing I can think of at the moment I am sure that if you put the plant a little further from the fish pond and not "in" the fish pond it will do just fine. Please tell us you didn't put it "in" the pond :cheesy: if so you better go get it out! :cheesy:

Perhaps you can put the vft in a container and float it in your pond.

Well yes, it's in it's pot in the pond. The plant itself isn't in the pond, it's still in the, now muddy, peat. I figured the effect would be just the same as standing it in a saucer full of water with the added benefit of all the nourishment of the fish stuff as well as all the bugs and things that frequent the water

The water from the pond is good because it won't contain any of the chlorine and minerals present in tap water. If it's too deep though it will rot the plant. You want the water level to be about 3cm at most. You also run the risk of it falling over into the water :eek:

Wouldn't the water be too rich for the plant?

--Steve

Pond water is just rainwater isn't it? I use pond water for my plants sometimes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Alvin Meister on 9:17 pm on April 9, 2002
Pond water is just rainwater isn't it? I use pond water for my plants sometimes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd be concerned that the animal waste in the water would act as a fertilizer does. Rainwater and bog-filtered water are pretty pure by comparison.

--Steve

Steve

Back