What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cutting

trashcan

O:-)
I read on the Sarracenia.com how to do a leaf cutting for a Dionaea. I pulled it from the base of the plant, and it had a little white tissue at the bottom. I planted it in live sphagnum moss, and I have been keeping it moist. Anything else I need to do?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,
Just make sure it has high humidity and plenty of indirect light. Watch out for mold. It sounds like you've got it down right. Leaf cuttings can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be.
Good luck,
Chris

Also Trashcan,, remember to take the leaf cuttings during the spring because taking them now will lead damage to the plants.

The trap had been closed for about 3 weeks, and a hole had rotted through where the insect had been, so I figured it was going to die eventually.. I figured it would be a waste to just let it shrivel up and turn black.

Patrick

I would personly spray it with fungicide just to make sure it doesn't get fungus. Also don't be surprised if the whole leaf dies-the small rhyzome part should live and produce roots in the sphagum.

Hmm.. In the last few days the leaf steams (terminology incorrect probably) of all the traps that are closed (most of them) have started to turn YELLOW .. !!! This is the first time this has happened to my plant. Could it be upset because I took that leaf cutting/pulilng?

Patrick

Leaf 'steams'? Do you mean the spines??
Yes, you probably shouldn't have taken that cutting...just stick with springtime cuttings. It probably shocked the plant when you hacked off one of its appendages. Take very good care of it and maybe it'll survive.
good luck,
smile.gif

Chris

So everyone is in consensus that this could severely damage a perfectly healthy VFT at this time of the year?

Patrick

No.
Possibly, the cutting made an open 'wound' on the plant, which was a doorway to harmful fungi.
sad.gif

Chris

Back