What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about glass pot?

P

pixie

I just recently was the recipient of an unpotted VFT - I put it in a glass pot, since it was the only thing I had around - now I'm wondering if it will be okay? I know it's not good to re-pot, but I don't want to cause any mold/rot issues, since the peat moss doesn't drain. Should it be all right, or should I try to re-pot it in spring after its dormancy?

It does need some form of drainage.  If the pot does not have holes in the bottom, either make some or repot.  If you just repotted, it probably won't hurt it too much if you repot it again.  
Here's a link for flytrap care (in case you haven't already found it).
FAQ

SF

Ok - I'll go hunt a decently draining pot down sometime tonight. So far it doesn't seem to be having too hard of a time, but it's soil is wet - is that going to be bad when I try to repot? I definately don't want to hurt it!

Hi pixie,
A glass pot should be ok as is any non-porous pot. If it is a clear glass pot you will get algae growing beteen the glass and the peat moss. The only questions I have are what kind of peat moss is it potted in and are you watering with some type of purified water (distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water)?

I'm watering with the water from the Culligan Man
confused.gif

I hope that's OK? And I don't know exactly what kind of peat moss it is - I actually got it here at work (everyone now has one at their desk, under the flourescent desk lights) - my boss is the one who bought the traps and the peat moss.

Rather than edit my previous post......

Pixie, wet soil won't be a problem for a short while. VFTs are often submerged for days at a time in the wild. So a day or two of wet soil won't be a problem.

And another
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pixie @ Sep. 08 2003,5:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm watering with the water from the Culligan Man  
confused.gif

I hope that's OK? And I don't know exactly what kind of peat moss it is - I actually got it here at work (everyone now has one at their desk, under the flourescent desk lights) - my boss is the one who bought the traps and the peat moss.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmmmm.  The water might be a problem.  If it's 'softened' water then it will still have mineral salts in it that will build up in the soil and damage the roots.  If it's bottled water like from a water cooler then it's possible that it's RO water and that works well.  Just let it warm up to room temp before watering your plants.

If the peat is just plain peat, the plants will be OK but I have trouble with it compacting and getting hard in my pots.  Perlite or silica sand mixed in will help keep it loose longer.  Also, make sure the peat doesn't have fertilizer added to it.  Carnivorous plants have very sensitive roots and fertilizers burn them quickly.  They grow in places that have very few nutrients on the soil.

If the leaves start growing long and skinny, then you need to increase the light your plant is getting.  VFTs are very light hungry plants.  They like 5 to 8 hours of direct sun but will do fine if the fluorescents are bright enough.

I like your boss
smile.gif
.  I try talking about my plants at work and they look at me like I'm nuts
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I try talking about my plants at work and they look at me like I'm nuts  .  
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

And then maybe they're right!!!
tounge.gif

wink.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Isn't everyone that spends their time watching, caring for, catching bugs for and basically drooling over their plants (Typical CP lover) nuts?  Then, maybe the co-workers are nuts for not succombing (sp?) to the addiction?  Maybe its too late at night for me to be serious and I should go to bed now?  I'll take the last choice!

SF

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pixie @ Sep. 09 2003,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- I actually got it here at work (everyone now has one at their desk, under the flourescent desk lights) - my boss is the one who bought the traps and the peat moss.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
cool , i wonder what made your boss want to do that , you should invite him to the forums or if hes not already
rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the forums, Pixie!  
smile.gif

Geez...what a boss!  I have two CP tanks at work and people enjoy looking at them but I'll never see a VFT given to me by my supervisors.  lol   Can I come work where you do??  
smile.gif

Just make sure you do use a pot, whether plastic or ceramic, that drains.  And they will need light.  So maybe next go 'round your boss can drop some distilled water on y'alls desks...or better yet, a sundew!

Suzanne

Back