What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP QUICK

OK I went to Home Depot and bought perlite and semi shredded peat moss. What about dirt? When reading the postings I assumed the scott's perlite was arid dirt but what I found in the bag was white styraphome pieces. What should I be using in my tank?

thanks joe

Sphagnum peat moss, perlite, and long fiber sphagnum is a good combination. The perlite is a puffed rock. Like rice crispies, but not as tasty. Perlite contains no minerals and is totally inert. Perlite is used to aerate the soil.

Nick

OK so no dirt. Where do the nutrients come from other than bugs?

joe

Mainly comes from the insects the plants capture and from photosynthesis.

Hi there.
Carnivorous plants usually live in wet bogs which are mostly made up of sphagnum peat moss. As there aren't many nutrients available, they have evolved to be carnivorous and they get their nitrogen and trace elements from the insects they catch. They won't die without insects, but will grow larger and stronger if they are 'fertilised' with insects.
So use sphagnum peat moss for repotting and sharp sand and perlite for aeration in a 2:1 sphagnum mix.

Back