What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My fly trap flowered!

Hi

My plant has had a flower stalk for a little over a month now, and It flowered today! I will try to get a pic and post it. When do I self polinate it? when the pollen appears fuzzy? (I'm guessing.) Thanks.
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif

Wow,

That's cool!

How long have you had it?
I just know there will be people posting to cut it off or
your plant is doomed. I know everyone says it is very taxing on a plant and I can't argue with that. I say if your plant was very robust to begin with, then more power to you, but that is my inexperienced opinion. If it is just one of many VFT'S you have, then I say it is well worth the experience even if it may mean a sacrifice.

wink.gif

the plant flowering I've had since Jan. I have to admit that the plant is paying for it, I asked Peter myself (You know, the Savage Garden author) and he told me they usually flower in spring, and he told me to clip the flower stalk off. But I was so exited! I wanted (what I'm going to call them), "late year seeds" ! and the plant dosent look so well. It could be going into dormancy,or it could be dying. anyone know? Thanks.
Spectabilis73

wow.gif
0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 26 2002,6
wow.gif
0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the plant flowering I've had since Jan. I have to admit that the plant is paying for it, I asked Peter myself (You know, the Savage Garden author) and he told me they usually flower in spring, and he told me to clip the flower stalk off. But I was so exited! I wanted (what I'm going to call them), "late year seeds" ! and the plant dosent look so well. It could be going into dormancy,or it could be dying. anyone know? Thanks.
       Spectabilis73[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It's probably just going dormant.  Believe me, a dead VFT is very obviously dead, they turn black and get slime all over and start to smell.

EDIT: sorry Darcie those typos were gettin to me haha I just had to fix them
tounge.gif

Thanks.

I now have three flowers! Two on one, but another bud that has not flowered,and one on another, with 2 more buds!
I will try to post the pic tonight!

Spectabilis73

kool thats awesome! your vft is going into dormancy ....anyway, cant wait to see the pic!!!
Kevin
smile.gif

Did your vft grow one stalk at a time? The reason I ask is because one of mine is flowering as I've mentioned in a similar post. Only one stalk so far. I suppose then it will start to grow more stalks soon?
I would be interested in the pollinating question myself. I may want to get some seeds out of this deal!
smile.gif

Two plants flowering, 1 flower stalk on each. Is your flytrap still flowering? You might get another stalk
            Spectabilis73

from my experience its best to cut the bloom off as soon as you see it,because when they bloom the arent that pretty to look as as well.and i have let some bloom in the past and they have died. just a fyi to all of you...
wink.gif

I now have more pic!, but don't know how to post them. I'll figure it out
biggrin.gif

My flowers ripened! can't wait to get the seed...

Ripened flower...seed...HOW?
wink.gif

My flowers all bloomed, now they seem to be curling up and dying off. How was/am I supposed to get seed from it? I didn't quit get the hang of self-pollinating this time around, but they are supposed to do it themselves anyway, right? So even if it is a smaller amount of seed, I should still be able to get some? When? How?

Oh I'm so confused!
confused.gif
smile.gif

the flowers will turn black, and in aprox. 6 weeks the ovary bursts open, reveling seed, so don't cut it off! wait untill the stem holding the flower on the scape turns brown all the way (but not the scape) before collecting the seed.
smile.gif

heres the pic:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> ElTunnel

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2002,4:53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you should use the link to the picture instead to the html page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

did it work?

Nope...didn't work.
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip...I'll watch and wait. I'd still like to see a pic if you can get it up. May help with the understanding somewhat!
wink.gif

I'll see if I can get a pic of my ripened one (ones) and try to post it
smile.gif

Back