What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weak plants

I have a problem with 3 of my flytraps... last year they were big and vigorous ... i let them sit by a shady cold window in GA all winter... it was usually about 40 degrees farenheight... but my traps are all curled up and have hardly anytrap at all...
should i try to repot them and put them in new peat? i am pretty sure they get enough artificial light everday ... at least 12 -14... the humidity in the tank they are in always stays above 30-50%... and there is a heating pad underneath the tank to keep them warm... if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated...i can put up pics of them later when i am not in school... thanks

If they just got out of dormancy I would make sure they get plenty of light. I would not use the tray meathod at least for a month. That tends to rot the plant as they are slow for awhile. Water once a week from the top for at least a month.

Travis

BTW
They=Vft's

I wouldnt repot unless you can see the roots from the bottom of the pot. I suppose you could make a peat tea and water with that if you feel you should renew the soil or maybe water with some Superthrive to kick them in gear. Like Travis said becareful not to over water if they are just comming out of dormacy.

By the way welcome back I havent seen you around in a long time.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wallyisawalrus @ May 01 2003,09:28 )</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">....the humidity in the tank they are in always stays above 30-50%... and there is a heating pad underneath the tank to keep them warm...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just a shot in the dark, but I suspect your cooking your plants.  VFTs do fine with temps in the low 30s on up to the high 80s.  According to the weather map I checked, the temps in Georgia were in the 70ºF to 80ºF range today. Just right for VFTs, but not if they are setting on a heating pad
wink.gif

Glad to have you back!  Check out some of the new stuff on the forum if you haven't already
smile.gif

alien.gif

You may want to check for aphids, or other pests, sometimes they deform the new leaves.

Cole

thanks for the tips fellas... sorry i have been gone so long ...i went into dormancy with my traps... its good to see ya guys again... thanks ...

Back