What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Plant is turning black in Dormancy

• Thread starter Cortina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dormancy
C

Cortina

What do I do, my plant is turning black, there is only one green stem left and it is in the fridge. help
smile.gif

Hi Cortina,
Have you visited this site?
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
Pay particular attention to the section on flytrap dormancy. It may be dying back naturally, but your description makes it sound like it may be rapidly dying...is there any visible fungus around the plant? Have you been caring for it properly? It could be a variety of problems, or nothing at all.
take care,
Chris

I had just found out I was supposed to be watering so I did but it is still turning black...

if the soil dried out to much, the roots of the plant could have been destroyed, if that is the case, the plant is probably not recoverable... the only thing I can say is keep the soil moist and hope.

Um personly i would say your problem is that the plant has rotted as a result of you watering it while it was in the fridge. For you see it is so cold in the fridge that moisture is easily retained in your plants soil so you don't need to water it while it is in the fridge.
What i would do before i put it in the fridge,pot and all, is not water the plant at all for like 2,3 days(if it is in a dish of water take it out of this),and give it filtered light for these 2-3 days, thus this allows moisture from the soil to evaporate and causes the soil to only be moist and not wet. If the soil is moist the plant is then less prone to root rot, especially in the fridge where there is no ventalation and thus fungus heaven. Remember even though the soil on the top of the pot may feel moist,that the soil towards the bottom of the pot is still drenched-i only water my flytrap every 2 days,and it's spring here with temperatures soaring up to 35 degrees celcius-this way i am not over watering the plant. I would suggest that you carefully check your plants rhyzome has not gone mushy and is rotting,do this by carefully removing a bit of soil from around your plant(you don't need to remove it or anything just remove like a few cm of soil from the plants base)-if the rhyzome is not crisp and white then i would suggest you remove the whole plant immidiatly,wash all peat off of it with distilled water,spray thouroughly with fungicide and put in a zip lock bag in the fridge wrapped in a damp towel. Although if it is still sending out new growth that means that it is probably ok-just stop watering it,you don't need to water them while they are in the fridge are you are only inviting them to rot. Sorry i hope i didn't scare you it's just that i thought you might just like to be aware that this could be your problem.

Back