What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not giving up ??

L

lytleric

My two flytraps started growing stalks a few weeks ago (in the dead of winter) so I figured it was their way of telling me they wanted to come out of dormancy. So I moved them to a warmer location in my apartment and started increasing the length of light. (I have my light on a timer.)

As soon as the flower stalks were about an inch high, I cut them off. Now, it appears that both of them are trying again and sending up another stalk. Is this normal? Should I cut them off as usual? Is it possible I did it wrong the first time? I just used a pair of scissors and trimmed as close to the bottom as possible.

The past two seasons I let the plants flower... That was before I found this forum and learned that this is bad for the plant! Each time they sent up only one stalk. Where is the second one coming from? Although they have done well each year, so I am interested to see what happens this year without the stalks.

You did it just fine. Sometimes they do put out more than one stalk its a normal thing. Your plant is probably just stubborn is all.
smile.gif
Oh and chop it off
smile.gif

If your flytraps survived the other times you didn't chop the flower stalks off, then they are probably strong enough to put up flower stalks... and then you have seed to give/trade away or plant. Plants in the wild often reach 10 inches in diameter and the probably flower every single year. I say let one grow and lop the other one off and see if you can tell the difference.
smile.gif

Noah

Back