What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black traps

Hi. I need help...
I bought a VFT about 2 weeks ago. Every time he eats, his trap gets black about 3 days after. I've got it with a fly in one mouth, so i know he can eat properly. Since i've got it, he never ate without making the trap black.
Any one?

Hey Gumpa

Sometimes, depending on what you feed the plant...it may not like it. And would turn black.

OR

If the trap doesn't close all the way when it catches something, bacteria can develop ( or get in there ) and cuase the bug to rot and turn the trap black.

Are you feeding it 'live' bugs. That could also be why.

Other than that...I would just make sure that you have the basics down.

Distill water
Temps good
Good Light

Keep us posted
smile.gif

It ate 1 little living fly and 1 little living bug, and the traps closed all the way with nothing sticking outside but still they rot. i know it likes flys, cause he ate 1 without a problem before i got it (he still have 1 in one of his traps). I think he have all the other things fine (he grows with Droseras, while they are just fine).
Any other suggestions?
(P.S, Thanks Jaie)

Gumpa,

It could be that the fly ate something that doesn't sit right with your trap, that a hole or some type of damage was on the trap, and that once closed, the right conditions for a bacaterial assualt on it existed.

Traps do die and turn black, perhaps these traps had reached the end of the road.

You plant does not need to eat to survive. I would suggest holding off the feeding for a few weeks, maybe until next month, and let's see what happens, let your plant recover, and then maybe try feeding it a fly one more time.

Thanks.
I'll try that.

Back