What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

post pics

• Thread starter chinski000
  • Start date
All of you all out there post pictures of you r vfts so i can see what everyone elses looks like once i get some pics of mine i will post them.

Most of our Venus Flytraps are still in, or just coming out of dormancy. So... that is kinda hard.
smile.gif

Check out the user gallery here at the site... a few members have posted their pics.

Mine have been outta dormancy since Feb. 1st I don't think there is nothing spectacular yet but I'll post pics later if they are worth it.

Yeah, dormancy is no fun. Once my plants wake up, I'll borrow the digital cam from work and post them on a website for y'all. : )

(how do you make emoticons on here?)

larry

I just got my VTF Rhizomes a week or so ago... i potted them in Scott's Potting soil (all around use) and have made sure its got all the water and all...but it just seems to be sitting there and doing nothing... is it because it is still "dormant" or is it shock or am i just not doing something right?

Hi Wallyisawalrus, If you are using potting soil you will need to remove the plants from it straight away. Potting soil contains added nutrients wich is harmful to your plant. You need to use SPHAGNUM moss peat (not sedge peat). You can use it on its own or preferably you can mix it 3 peat to 1 sand. Some growers also like to add Sphagnum moss to there mix as well. Once the plant becomes established it should start growing vigorously in the spring.

Hi wallyisawalrus,
Make sure the water you are using is rain, distilled or deionized water. Unless the tap water in your area is low in harmful minerals I wouldn't use it to water the flytrap.

Hey wallyisawalrus

Welcome to the forums!!!
smile.gif

Richard is right. You have to get the bulbs out of the potting soil. The plants will die and die quickly.

If you are in the US. Wal-mart, Target have Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. That is what you need. You can maybe find it at other garden centers as well. This is the brand that we use here and has proven to be the best. Something about Scott's peat moss isn't right ( I think they cut it with something else ).

Anyway...

Gently remve your bulbs/rhyzomes from the soil. I would rinse them off with DISTILLED WATER ONLY and then plant them in the peat moss.

If you want you can add Perlite ( also find at garden places ) and mix some on ( 60% peat moss 40% perlite is fine ).

Shock has something to do with you planting them, but the soil would be the bigger problem.

Where did you get the rhyzomes from?

Keep us informed about your plants

I got the rhizomes from here... i asked for three...yall sent four... hopefully they won't die... i am going to have to wake up and get that SPHAGMUMNUMS (*sp* too lazy to figure it out) peat moss... hopefully that will help

HI wallyisawalrus,
You should probably get some perlite or silica sand with that bag of sphagnum peat moss. Adding perlite and/or sand to the mix increases its drainage and reduces chances of rot and helps oxygen flow to the roots. I use a mix of peat:sand, peat:perlite 1:1, or 2:1:1 mix of peat:sand:perlite for all my flytraps and sarrs.

I got the peat moss and perlite like you said...i went out and got distilled water since it hasn't rained here in georgia for a while... and i have already potted them... how long do you think it will take before i see a difference?

Your plants probably wont show much signs of growth for a few weeks yet. Its still early in the year and the plants will only just be starting to come out of dormancy. Even if your plants didn't go into full dormancy there growth will still be much slower than in the spring. Over the next month or so you should see your plants start growing. If your plants are mature and healthy a flowering bud develops first. This needs to be removed as soon as possible after discovery as it will weaken the plant as it grows. It is quite easy to identify as it looks different to the young traps. It looks like a small bud on a thin circular stem.

Honestly i don't think i have ever been so excited about something so little... im only 16... so as you can see i havn't had much time to get excited about anything... i really hope they don't die on me...

Hey Jaie,

I didn't know the Scott's sphagnum was a little "off". Is it bad for my cp's? Its what I use now, but will definitely try the Schultz brand.

larry

Larry - On the left next to the message box it says ''Emoticons are enabled'', click on it. A window will pop up showing you the codes for the emoticons. Type in the code of the emoticon you want anywhere on your post and submit it.

Presto!

Back