What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aphids?

i've heard a bunch on here about insects called "aphids". what, exactly, do they look like?

...i was out today, looking at my rose bushes, and noticed a bunch of little green bugs on the new shoots. they are only a few mm. long, at most. are these aphids? whatever they are, they haven't found my vft's yet, but they are onlt a few feet away!

thanks,
technoracer

Sounds like that's what they are.  If they stay in one spot pretty much and it looks like they are suckking the sap from your roses and/or you see a lot of ants moving around in them stroking their antennas across them then it's a good bet that's what they are.

Where I come from (southern NY), aphids are at MOST 2 mm, and they are very pale green. The adults have clear wings, and black eyes. I picked a bunch out of my flower garden and fed them to my CP's. They are actaully great food for Drosera and baby VFT's, just make sure they don't escape!
wow.gif

sounds like them! now, how do you catch an insect that's only 2mm long without killing it?

thanks!
technoracer, "for master, i gotta find food."

you can buy insecticidal soap and spray them down!

IT won't hurt the plants and will take care of the aphids.

If you have other plants in the area, I would spray them as well...and check them for bugs.

Aphids will spread and cause a problem...so I would take them out ASAP!
smile.gif

Good luck!

I just found some on one of my Hibiscus ( not happy )...I sprayed everything down..and even thought about placing a plastic bag over the plant to prevent an escape. But, it is too hot in Texas to do that this time of the year
confused.gif

I sometimes get a few here and there on my indoor CPs. I check them frequently to keep them in control - I find they make a good "pop" between tweezers. Then I stick them onto my droserae or pings for digestion!

They can be caught without killing them (to make a nice wiggly surprise for a VFT), you just have to be quite gentle. Pinch the wings (which are held folded, upright, like a butterfly) between your thumb and forefinger. Place aphid in small trap. BOOM!
wink.gif
wow.gif

I have an infestation, just not sure what of. they are about the size of this period. they are small and white, how can i be rid of the little buggers?

To make 'em all dead, just submerge the whole plant underwater for about an hour. They are swamp plants, after all, and a little flood won't hurt 'em. The bugs, on the other hand, better learn to swim, and fast! Just make sure the water isn't freezing cold.
wow.gif

If you wouldn't want to swim in it, why would your VFT?
biggrin.gif

Back