What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen

I pulled my VFTs out of the fridge to plant them last week, only to find them frozen solid. I went ahead and planted them, hoping for a miracle. Has anyone ever had a VFT recover from a similar situation??

Buckmaster

you don't leave them in their pots at winter?
Um, I've never frozen a VFT, but other people have and had them make it. Just hope for the best I guess.

Same thing happened to me with one of mine. Frozen in a big block of ice. I had accidentally forgotten I had it. Well it defrosted, but unfortunatly, I lost it. But I dunno. Maybe yours might survive.

LOL FROZEN IN A BIG BLOCK OF ICE! LOL....excuse me...to much cartoons there dude... that doesnt happen.
You dont keep yours in a pot for dormancy? And it should have been in the fridge not freezer, you should have put a cover over it and only watered it like once a week.

Fortunately I live in the mtns. of North Carolina where I just put my plants in the coldest room in my house, so that has never happened to me. But I think that with LOTS of love and care, you plants can make it.
wow.gif
confused.gif

I take many of my vft and put only the bare root plant into the fridge with some moist sphagnum moss around it. This method has worked well for me. I also put plants into dormancy with their pots, but not in the fridge.

Buckmaster,
 As long as there is green growth in the center, there is a chance the plants will recover.  I had mine outside this winter for a couple months and they got frozen several times.  With the exception of two of the seven plants, they recovered.  The five that recovered, where in a 18"L x 5"W x 3½"H planter.  The two that didn't make it were in individual 3" pots.  Since your fridge probably wasn't cooling down into the 20°F range for weeks on end, your plants have a better chance of making it I would think.

My VFTs have been frozen outside during the winter. They were fine. And most of them never lose all their green leaves and traps. Its amazing how hardy they are. Many of mine are already quite large. After the last time I found the pots frozen I put them in my cool basement and later added lights and a heat lamp and they are growing well. Just put them outside yesterday.

I hope yours will be ok.
smile.gif

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Trapsrock @ Mar. 24 2003,04:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL FROZEN IN A BIG BLOCK OF ICE! LOL....excuse me...to much cartoons there dude... that doesnt happen.
You dont keep yours in a pot for dormancy? And it should have been in the fridge not freezer, you should have put a cover over it and only watered it like once a week.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Once a week?! Dang, that begs for crown rot and fungle infection. Try keeping it moist in a twist tied plastic bag and checking on it like once a month to see how things are going. I have maybe had to give water to a plant once one time. Oh and to prevent freeze, put it in a spot nere the top of the fridge away from where the cooler is and in a paper bag.

Thanks for all the info. It's not looking good. I think I'll order some more VFTs today.
Thanks

with the refrigrator method, doing bare-root OR in pots, you seal them in a plastic bag so that NO air can escape..that holds all the mositure in and NO watering at all is necessary all winter!
biggrin.gif

I put my plants in the 'fridge for dormancy..seal them up in their pots, and dont even LOOK at them until they come out of the fridge 3-4 months later..works great. they never dry out..the water cant escape the bag! therefore its impossible for the plants to dry out..

scot

I left my VFTs and Sarrs in thier pots over the winter and put them in a very cold section of my leaky old basement. The soil froze solid several times. I now have them in my grow room under my 1000 watt light and they are all showing signs of new growth.

Good luck with your plant.

Glenn

Back