What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

!O.k. Remenber me?! I need more help.

• Thread starter fernan003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
F

fernan003

I need evern more help. Someone told me in a previous post to give it full sun. I did now the whole trap is dying
mad.gif
. I'm not angy at whoever told me to do so cause they were trying to help me
biggrin.gif
. What should i do to keep the VFT from dying. I need all availible help and/or tips. Thanks for your help
tounge.gif

No, I do not remeber you
confused.gif
wink.gif
. But welcome to the forums again. I would just reduce it from the sun for a while (4 hours of shaded sun) and let it recover. It should be alright may slow down the growth but it will recover with some tender loving care.
smile.gif

travis

Same thing happened with me today!!! I usually leave my 2 regular flytraps and 1 Dente out for full sun and they do fine until today. I didn't know it was suppose to be 102 lol! My two other flytraps are fine, no burns or anything. But my Dente doesn't handle the heat and strong rays really good. I guess it was too much Texas sun for the poor vft. But I will get him back into good shape.

Hi Fernan003,
 Just some thoughts.

When you put your plant in full sun, did you do it gradually over a couple weeks or all at once?  If it was all at once then the plant didn't have time to toughen up and that is why the leaves burned.  If the center of the plant still produces new growth then your plant will recover.

Do you use the tray method for watering?  Keeping the plant in a tray with ¼" to ½" will help keep the plant cool (and humid) with evaporation from the tray.

Best wishes,

Hi Fernan003, did you have a cover on the VFT that got burnt in the sun? If you did, this was probably the cause. If not than it was probably what BCK said, about letting it slowly toughen up to handle full sun. Also make sure to use Distilled, rain, or R/O water only.
biggrin.gif

wow.gif
Oops. I didn't know i had to build it up. i just put it in all at once. don't worry i am only using distilled water
tounge.gif
. Any tips on how to help build up the leaves?

Hi!
It depends on where you live in the US. Flytraps grow in North Carolina, so anywhere north of there and your VFT shouldn't get burnt.
To build up resistance, put your plant out for an hour for a couple of days, then 3 hours, then 4 etc..

Just to go along with what Alvin said. Full sun greatly varies with your location. Texas would be brutal to a tropical VFT, when with me in Alaska in the summer my VFT well full sun for 18 to 20 hours a day and does great. (I was aksholy amazed how much it grew this summer with all the light).

Yeah Texas sun is very very brutal. But I have gotten my Vfts to except it and they do great! The good thing about growing them here in Texs is that the sun is brighter and closer so they turn red faster.

biggrin.gif
Thanks for the tips. I live in Missouri and this summer sun is harsh. i usually left it inside then decided to put it out one day
confused.gif
, what a mistake.lol. Anyho, i'll build it up so it can be strong
wink.gif
. And by the way, travis and alvin nice avatar!
tounge.gif

Back