What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mosquito feeding on vft

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
ok, i just found a smaller bug on the floor and thought "wow what a great small bug for that small red dragon!" so off i went flashlight in hand to feed the trap. when i got there i noticed that mosquitos were arround the larger common vfts. i sat and watched for approx 10 min as they went arround a tried to prob the plants. never hitting the triggers though (darnet). pretty wierd. i guess that is because they smell like meat?? just thought i would share.
lates,
andrew

ps after this i scarred them away from the plants i hit them with the "can of death" haha... plants may not of won. but i did!!!

That's probably the reason they went after the VFT but i don't think they could ahve done any serious damage.If the mosquitos keep it up i would put a flea collar around the plant to keep the bugs away....just in case.
smile.gif

mosquitos usually suck plant juices, that is the main form of food for the adult. They only use blood when they are laying eggs. I've had a couple on my nepenthes the past few days, I just wait until they fly to the window, squash them, and toss them into a pitcher. They don't seem to do much damage. I've had a few try and suck on my sundews also, but those usually get caught. Kind of comical when they get stuck, knowing they and the plant are both feeding on each other, at the same time.

yeah, i had a dead one on the sundew and another landed right overit. it looked as if he was feeding on the other mosquito... so figure that one. mosquito eating plant. mosquito eating mosquito and plant eating two mosquitos!! hehe lmao!
andrew

If your camping they say to hang a cut open apple off a nearby tree...

They could have been mosquito hawks

Clumsy larger bugs that feed on mosquitoes ( hence 'hawk
wink.gif
)

I have them always flying around the traps...I think that they also enjoy the moist soil...or maybe they figure wet=mosquito larvae which= mosquitoes

( god I am a genuis )

actually i think you are refering to crane flies.  read this.  but i did read this which talks about dragon flies being called mosquito hawks..  well, look at the page.  kinda kewl. but i DID like your logics there.. hehe
andrew

As a student of animal biology, I attually can answer your question in full. Mosquetoes do NOT suck plant juices. Males drink necter, female blood. If your traps are produceing their itsy bitsy necter (at the base of the traps teeth, I think) the males are just mopping some up
smile.gif
Believe it or not, these guys are importent polinators
wink.gif
And I am guessing far to small to hit two hairs at once and trigger the trap.

Back