What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft varieties......

I've been checking around different Lowes' and so far I've only found two types, Bigmouth and Typical. Has anyone else found VFT varieties other than typical at walmart, lowe's, ect.

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

I would like to add that today, I found the Fused Tooth mutation at lowe's.

Cool. I have yet to see any plants labled as other varients, but I have seen blood red traps, and dente for sure. I also have two plants that seem very very slack's giant and southwestern giant like, but those are barely varients in the first place so it's hard to say for sure.

wow , you got those types from lowes , what company did they come from . the only type I find at nurseries is typical and red variety . was it actually labels fused tooth and big mouth or do u know it just is .so far i only get varieties and mutants from trades . i have typical , dente , red variety , giant , green dragon , red dragon , fine tooth x red , and all green .

Um, red variety just means it is one of the many red varieties out their, Maybe if you post a picture we can ID the exact one for you
smile.gif

Please don't assign names to an unidentified plant you might find at some nursery. Many VFT varieties look similar but unless they are produced vegatively from labelled parental stock you can not be certain just what they are.
T

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 31 2003,02:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please don't assign names to an unidentified plant you might find at some nursery.  Many VFT varieties look similar but unless they are produced vegatively from labelled parental stock you can not be certain just what they are.
T[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hence the reson we note they are unlabled in the posts.  And all of the registered varients are easy to tell appart. As for unregisterd ones, anyone could call any plant by any of those names, so the fact that they are labled is moot.

Ok couple things..

Monkeyman never said they were labelled and I highly doubt they were.. So using names like bigmouth, fused tooth is not acceptable. You could say they are similar to such and such variety but not use apply the names directly. Darcie is correct in saying southwest giant and slacks giant like.

Also it is not true that all registered varieties are easy to tell apart. And for unregistered ones it is not ok in my book to call any plant by any of those names. They are labelled for a reason. Registered or not has nothing to do it. They are labelled to keep the origin of a specific plant intact.

wow.gif
6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 31 2003,03
wow.gif
6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok couple things..

Monkeyman never said they were labelled and I highly doubt they were.. So using names like bigmouth, fused tooth is not acceptable.  You could say they are similar to such and such variety but not use apply the names directly.  Darcie is correct in saying southwest giant and slacks giant like.

Also it is not true that all registered varieties are easy to tell apart.  And for unregistered ones it is not ok in my book to call any plant by any of those names.  They are labelled for a reason.  Registered or not has nothing to do it.  They are labelled to keep the origin of a specific plant intact.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh, yay, I don't know what Monkeyman saw, although fused tooth is sort of distinctive.  I don't like people randomly labling plants either, but it does happen, proticularly with the names "giant" and "Blood Red Trap".

As to registerd varients, what ones do you refer to?  The Denta trap group is a little hard to tell, but they have all been lumped into being consitterd the same varient now anyways.

I guess I just don't like how the other plant groups get to be IDed according to traits and just because a lot of VFT's are growing through cloning, they aren't.

Alot of the large trap types are hard to tell apart as well as those that are color variations. Cultural practices will greatly affect coloration so are highly subjective to ones own results based on their own growing environment.

Yes those with physical mutations are easier to spot and distinguish but here again it is not always so clear cut because a typical VFT can sometimes form a mutated trap or two (very common actually) because of damage or environment. It wouldn't surprise me to find a plant with a fused tooth trap or two. Particularly in a homedepot where the plants are coming from heavily micropropagated stock and have been through alot of stress. These things tend not to be stable and the plant will grow normally the great majority of the time when healthy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 31 2003,05:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alot of the large trap types are hard to tell apart as well as those that are color variations.  Cultural practices will greatly affect coloration so are highly subjective to ones own results based on their own growing environment.  

Yes those with physical mutations are easier to spot and distinguish but here again it is not always so clear cut because a typical VFT can sometimes form a mutated trap or two (very common actually) because of damage or environment.  It wouldn't surprise me to find a plant with a fused tooth trap or two.  Particularly in a homedepot where the plants are coming from heavily micropropagated stock and have been through alot of stress.  These things tend not to be stable and the plant will grow normally the great majority of the time when healthy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh yah, never ID any plant of any kind untill it is settled in. If you can't discribe a plant in compleat don't try and give it a name, lol. It's sort of like buying a White Betta fish and calling it white befor you've had it long enough for it's real color to show up.
smile.gif
My betta turned red, lol.

I got the plants from cooks . it was labeled promo but he said it was called red variety which i already knew because I saw them for sale at my local nursery . the vftslooks like any ordinary vft except it is also red on the outside of the and on the rims of the leaves . I can't show you a pic cuz I still don't know how and if I did you would'nt be able to see the plant truly because it is still young . although I have found to books with pics of the plant i have : carnivorous plants by tony camilleri pg14 , carnivorous plants of the united states and canada second edition by donald e. schnell pg.86 , also on pg97 , has anybody ever seen a vft like that b 4 .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (goldtrap2690 @ Mar. 31 2003,08:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I got the plants from cooks . it was labeled promo but he said it was called red variety which i already knew because I saw them for sale at my local nursery . the vftslooks like any ordinary vft except it is also red on the outside of the and on the rims of the leaves . I can't show you a pic cuz I still don't know how and if I did you would'nt be able to see the plant truly because it is still young . although I have found to books with pics of the plant i have : carnivorous plants by tony camilleri pg14 , carnivorous plants of the united states and canada second edition by donald e. schnell pg.86 , also on pg97 , has anybody ever seen a vft like that b 4 .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh, I know that plant, but I know it's name as All Red Trap.

Back