What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea propagation

I remember reading somewhere that you can cut a Vft flowerstalk into sections, place the sections in damp sphagnum, and small plantlets will grow from the sections. I know for a fact you can use the flowerstalk base for propagation. But I haven't tried this before. Does anyone know if this works? Any tips?

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

I guess I'll try it anyway. I'll let you all know the results.

Mike
smile.gif

Hi I've never read that to the best of my knowledge. However, please keep us posted on your results.

With leaf cutting, you have to remove the white base for propagation.

Propagating with the flowerstalk, would you remove the white base too? And if so, how do you do that without damaging the plant?

Just a curious thought
rolleyes.gif

To propagate a Vft using it's flower stalk base, just twist the stalk and pull. It should come right out. If you place the flower stalk base rightside up in some Sphagnum, you'll have plantlets in a couple of weeks. (only took two weeks for me)

Mike
smile.gif

Interesting!
smile.gif

I'll have to give this a try myself.

Thanks for the new experiment.

Hi there,

I actually tried this when I pulled the flower out of my cvft. It didn't seem to work...Not sure why. Anyway, the vft pretty much stopped growing anything after I pulled the flower. What's interesting is that I accidentally pulled away some root when I was removing a dying leaf. I decided to just plant that root and I think it's actually growing! We shall see. Wish me luck.

Here are the results:

All of the cutting failed. They turned black. But what's weird is they get squishy or dry, just black. Anyway, the base cutting, which should have worked, failed because I didn't get enough rhizome with it.
sad.gif
At least I know now.

Mike
smile.gif

Mike,
A variation of the leaf cutting technique that I tried this spring and which seems to work very well, was to seperate the leaves from the rhizome when I was transplanting.  It didn't matter if it was a large leaf or a leaf with the end half dead.  I snapped the leaves off the rhizome 1 to 3 leaves at a time (kinda like pealing apart a celery stalk) and I stuck them in 2" pots filled with 1:1 sphagnum peat:perlite and treated them like rooted plants.  I placed them in bright indirect light by my south window.  Of the 11 pieces I did this with, I only lost one (one the smaller leaves) when I didn't realize that I had washed the peat away from the base of it when I watered it.  It was in a planter with several other VFTs that I water from above.  All the rest are growing into nice little VFTs
smile.gif

edited 5-25-03 @ 10:30pm
I used one of my VFTs that only had growth on one side of the rhyzome so that it wouldn't form a nice rosette when it grew. I decided it would make a good sacri...uhm subject for this experiment
smile.gif

alien.gif

Back