What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tray watering

Hi Everyone,

My vft's arrived yesterday from PFT. They look great -- much better than the one's I've seen in the stores. I had a question about tray watering. I am not sure if I am suppose to put water in the tray only and let the plant's soil soak it up or water the plant from the top and let a 1/2 of water stay in the tray from the run off. Do I ever let the tray go dry for a day or 2 or should I keep it at a 1/2 inch full all the time?
These plants do seem a bit more animal than plant
tounge.gif

Thanks,
Bobby

well, both, and neither.

Tray method - Sit the pot in the tray, fill with water, let go dry for a day or two, rinse tray (no soap) repeat. (I rinse to keep bacterial levels down, and because I have seen mosquito larvae I thought were dead re-hydrate! GRRR)

Watering fromt he top, we call flushing the soil. You do it every so often, but it is not neccessary, I do it every time I water my mini-bog, mostly because I forget to water and want to add moisture tot he roots right away, but you don't have too...

the main idea is not to let the water float debris up and deposit it in the crown of the plant where it will rot, and decay the growth point and end your flytrap early.

To add to that you can let the water dry completely just make sure the soil is always moist.

T
r
  a
   v
     i
      s
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

If you do not have it yet, get the book The Savage garden by Peter D'Amato. It will tell you everything you need to know about raising carnivorous plants.

Jason

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the tips. I understand it now. I have Savage Garden but it doesn't quite make the tray method clear as to how and when to water. It sort of just says here it is do it. I love the book though and have been carting it around everywhere I go.

Bobby
rolleyes.gif

Back