What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i need help?

X

X_Dusty_X

My venus flytrap is turning yellowish in the centre of the leaves. As well as the leaves aren't responding to stimuli. The Branches are stiff, and New growth is occuring, but the colour change is on young and old Leaves. I keep the Soil consistantly moist and keep it under an incandesent 120V light at about 1' foot away.

What should I do.

I will include a picture if somebody tells me how to upload from my Harddrive

Please help

More light. VFTs need 8 hours of full sun (minimum). Incandescant bulbs do nothing for plant growth and due to excessive heat output may actually do more harm than good. Also make sure you water only with distilled water or rain water. Do NOT use tap water!

Check out these links for very good sources of information on cultivating VFT's:
FAQ pages
PFT care sheet
Goldtraps page

Good luck with your plants
Steve

What about crystal springs cooler water from a single water tower.

At room temprature

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about crystal springs cooler water from a single water tower.

At room temprature[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hi, Welcome to the forums!!

It's ok to use that water as long as the water is reverse osmosis (RO) or distilled. Also make sure the water is sodium free. If there is sodium in the water it will build up in the soil and harm the plant. You can always buy plain distilled or RO water at the store for about 25 cents a gallon. And yes you are right about using water at room temp. If you use very cold water it can shock the roots and the plant. Good luck!!

-buckeye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (X_Dusty_X @ Sep. 04 2003,8:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about crystal springs cooler water from a single water tower.

At room temprature[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No. Go to the grocery store and buy "Distilled water" should get it for anywhere from $ .70- 1.00 a gallon. Make sure it says Distilled. Distilled water is what you get when you boil water and condense the steam back into water. VFTs need pure water, free of any disolved minerals. Drinking water, spring water, carbon filtered water ect ect does not remove those toxic minerals. Use Distilled, Reverse Osmosis, or Rain only.

Steve

Don't know where you are.. If you live in the cold keep your plant outside,change your water and hope it perks up normally I recommend dormancy but with the health of the plant you'll want it growing fast and strong so take it back inside in mid-october or earlier. If you insist on the light get a better one the fixture is your only problem and you can get a flourescent fixture at home depot also pick up a utility light or a growth light and ask for the brightest one later keep it about 6" away from the plant and give it about 10 hours of light and it should start perking up quickly.

16 hours of light is even better!

Oh,and if you want to use the same fixture you already have you can use those screw in compact flourecent bulbs (get the highest lumens rating you can get&#33
wink.gif

Oh, and welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi and welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

I think the incandescent bulb is your problem. As Steve said, it won't do your plant much good as far a light goes. And the heat from the bulb isn't good either. If you can't provide full sun for your plant, I'd try a fluorescent tube set up if possible. You can get a pretty inexpensive, small shop light at the hardware store and set it up with a timer for about 14 hrs of light. That should help your plant out.

Good luck and happy growing!

Suzanne

Cool
Thanks everybody for the help.

I will hopefully improve my little guys health.

Thanks alot.

How do I upload pictures???

I have a question....

I live in Michigan, the weather is WACKY here! Winters are always cold. Do have to dormancy my plant if its cold out, can I just leave it on the window to keep it cool during this time?

Jenny

Back