What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting....

I'm in the Chicago area and where I live there is not good placement for long periods of real sun--especially now with the weather. I figure once it heats up I will move my VFT outside to catch at least 4-5 hours of good sun, but I know that isn't enough.
So...I built a little set up for my new VFT. It sits on a tray with a 4 ft. shop light containing 1 soft white and 1 sunstick (which I read was pretty good combo.), maybe 6-10 in. above. I have a timer set to turn on at 6 am and turn off at 9 pm.

Is that sufficient???

Looked pretty lonely with just one plant and all that light so I took my 4 cactus I've on my porch and they all hang out together now peacefullywith the VFT. Of course I am going to have to add another VFT soon, but I want to make sure I get the basics down first with this one.
Thanks for the help!!!
-peace
Eric

That will work for now. I got good response from a 20W light at 3 inches.

However, when you move them out, give them partial shade at first, or the shock could hurt them temporarily.

I'm in Columbus, OH--we've had four days of rain, and my f'raps are almost underwater!

Steve

Yep--the rain finally stopped here last night. Talk about flooding!
The lights I use are 40 watt.
I'll keep the shade in mind when the weather permits me placing them outside.
Thanks Steve!!
-peace
Eric

Back