What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don\'t have any bugs!

is there some sort of dead flies/insects i can buy to feed my vft? i live in a cold place so there's hardly anything for the traps to feed on. anything would be helpful! thanks in advance!

Do you live in Antarctica? j/k Throw a rotten banana outside and i can almost guarantee flies will show up. If not, I've heard that boiled egg whites (tiny pieces) are good.
smile.gif

MarsGirl,
The plants don't have to eat. They will be just fine until the weather warms up and you can find some bugs for them. If you are impatient, like I am, you can buy meal worms or small crickets at a pet shop. Just make sure the insect is about 1/3 the size of the trap. Otherwise the trap may die after feeding. I had to cut some of the meal worms in half.
Buckmaster

Relax! You`re plant will be fine. It`s cold right now where I live too. My plant`s have gone a month without feeding. Keep this in mind, the more you feed you`re plant the quicker the traps will die. Good Luck, John.

haha... not antarctica but upstate NY. it's spring and still snowing... so no bugs.

i heard that it is healthier for the traps to eat: they grow faster or seed or create more nitrogen in the dirt or something... too much reading on VFTs and i'm all confused. haha...

They'll do fine without bugs during spring. I don't think they would catch many, if any, in the wild during spring anyway - that's part of the reason why spring traps are all leaf and no trap.
You could try finding some rocks or something because they usually have creatures living underneath.

make sure whatever you feed it is doft bodied, no beetles, and definately no insects that would like to eat your flytrap!

Back