What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT SIZE

Hey peoples, can anyone please help me out. My VFT, does not digest the insects I feed it. I have just recieved my first vft, so i don't know if this is because of its size or what.
responses are greatly appreciated
thanks

Hey Pip!!

Welcome!!!

The VFT can be any size and eat. Just make sure to feed it live bugs and not dead ones.

Also, when the trap opens after eating ( about a week ) the remains will the exoskeleton. So if you see something in there don't panic
smile.gif

Thanx a bunch jaie,
Can you recomend anything that will help it grow faster
because my vft seems to be rather small. I make sure it has enough pete moss but it doesn't seem to help

Sun, warmth and a bug or two once a month will make a VFT grow quickly.

Also make sure that the insect can fit within the plants' traps. If not totally enclosed over the insect, the outside air will enter the trap during the digestion, causing the trap to rot as well as killing the trap itself not the plant.

I have another question.
How big does the average "common" VFT get in its lifetime and how long does it take to get that big?
Thanx in advance - just being curious
smile.gif

Pipsqeak, I'm not quite sure even though I have been growing common VFT for around 5 years. The biggest trap that I ever got out of a common VFT was 1 inches.

I hope mine gets like that!
That would be cool!
How about a green dragon? How big do those get?
Because hopefully i will get order one today!

Aaaaaaah.... I'm not quite sure. I never grew any type variation of VFT, only the common VFT.

on the topic of size, I recently purchased a vft from the local home improvement center.  I planted it in a 10 gallon aquarium with several other carnivores.  I noticed when taking the vtf out of the pot that there was a tiny vft in the pot as well.  What do you think the survival chances of this little guy are for a newbie such as myself?

Dcp_0086.jpg

tiny.jpg

First off welcome to the forums, Vitticeps!!!
smile.gif

Just treat the baby VFT like any other VFT and it should be fine, if given proper soil (peat moss) and proper water (distilled water). If you growing other CP like you mention then you should do fine.

the soil is a mixture of 40% peat, 30% vermiculite, and 30% sphagnum.

I haven't actually grown other CP's before, I bought them all at once to make a little 10 gallon terrarium of CP's.

I've got 2 pitchers (s. purpurea), 1 sundew (Drosera?), and 2 cobra lillies (which I now learn are not suited for terrarium growing).

So far the little guy looks good, not wilting or anything. I hope he makes it. How long till he reaches a more reasonable, and visible, size?

And than you for the warm welcome.
smile.gif

Maybe another 2 years till the VFT is within a reasonable size.

Back