What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vfts

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
When I moved my vfts (R.dragon, green dragon, 2common) outside earlier this summer I took the tops off.
My dente had already had its top off when I moved it out and it is doing great and even been catching its own bugs. it's traps are about 1/2 inch.
My commons have rebounded and doing great. They each have about 7 or 8 traps. Each trap is about 1/8 inches and even catching small gnats.
The red dragon has not rebounded very quikly though. The red dragon had about 5-7 traps/leaves before I removed the top. It now has 3, and only one of which still works. I fed it a fly and now it has a few new leaves coming out. Its traps are about 5/8 inch. I hope it has rebounded enough be the end of the growing season to survive dormancy.
sad.gif
sad.gif

My green dragon has also rebounded, and doing quite well; it has also caught a couple of bugs plus the fly I fed it. It has about 5 or six leaves, four of which are in working order.
Does anyone have any advice on preparing them for dormancy?

Toodles
tounge.gif
Wes

Where do you live? You can probably leave them outside until the first frost (if you get one), and then bring them in and put them either in the fridge, or in a cool, damp room.

Hope this helps,
COle

Wesley,
It is way too early to worry about dormancy yet.  You won't need to do anything until around late November. I'd wait till then to make a dicision on whether they can go through a dormancy or not. A lot can happen between now & then.

Last November there was a dormancy thread that was pinned in General Discussions (I think) and I think they will bring it back again this fall.  It covered questions on many types of CPs, including different methods, fungicide use, etc.

Okay, thanks. Oh... and I live in the northwestern part of North Carolina, where it often gets below freezing during the winter.

Toodles
tounge.gif
Wes

Wesly!!!!!! I have a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ok cover the plants with something(pine needles,bark, mulch, ect)over the winter. This method will for sure do the trick.
smile.gif

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't venus flytraps grow in North Carolina?

yup

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NickHubbell @ July 07 2003,02:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Correct me if I am wrong, but don't venus flytraps grow in North Carolina?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Er,ah...the climate and terrain around Wilmington,N.C.(VFT Natural Range Area) is a wee bit different from that found in NW North Carolina...which is  mountainous terrain with much colder winters than the subtropical tidewater coatal plain where the VFTs are native.

clever.gif

Hey Seminole,
  Question about that.  How much cooler do you mean by "a wee bit?"  I'm just asking because I've heard of VFT's surviving outdoors as far north as central Jersey, though they may have been mulched.  I think these guys are sturdier than we give 'em credit for.  I could be way off base here, but I think that unless you're elevation is quite dramatic, the VFT's should survive just fine even in NW North Carolina.  
confused.gif

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ July 07 2003,8:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Seminole,
  Question about that.  How much cooler do you mean by "a wee bit?"  I'm just asking because I've heard of VFT's surviving outdoors as far north as central Jersey, though they may have been mulched.  I think these guys are sturdier than we give 'em credit for.  I could be way off base here, but I think that unless you're elevation is quite dramatic, the VFT's should survive just fine even in NW North Carolina.  
confused.gif

confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ah ,there you have a prime example of mistaken thinking that comes from making assumptions founded in generalities.

I was visiting a friend last summer in New Jersey and his kids were relating their experience of seeing it snow there some years back.The point being -snow in their part of N.J. is a rare experience....visit NW N.C. and  you will find the the folks there quite familiar with snow.

A couple of weekends ago I was on the Oregon coast and saw a banana tree that lived outdoors the year 'round.If one traveled  not too many miles inland from that spot the winter temps would be brutally cold....and freeze the fronds by mid October.

So to answer your question,NW N.C.(compared to SW N.C.) is not only bitterly cold some winters ,but also,the soil conditons are of the alkaline freestone stream variety which is also much different from the  blackwater acidic wetlands  VFTs find in SE N.C.

Any area as large as a state is composed of microclimates which may vary greatly one from the other.What is true for one can not be assumed to be either true or correct for another.

Before I gave  out advice such as VFTs can overwinter in NW N.C I would most certainly qualify the statement with caution.
hump.gif

Back