What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

feeding your VFT

feeding your VFT - what you feed your VFT and what you dont

• do feed flys

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • feed earwigs

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • gnats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mosquits

• worms

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • slugs

• pill bugs

• lady bugs

• spiders with long legs

• spider with short leg       vote down below to vote against

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
below this to. And if what you won to vote for or against is not on the lists please post it thank!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

below this to. And if what you won to vote for or against is not on the lists please post it thank!!

sorry my computer you know vote above this topic to vete against thanks bye
smile.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You are confusing
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

ehehe
yeah i fed the pillbug once, theres those other ones that look just like them but they dont roll up, tend to be skinnier, and go into tight wet places just like ear wigs, but they like it really dark and wet, more than earwigs

hes right sol bugs are the ones that rollup

Sow bugs are flat and don't roll up, pill bugs do roll up. rolly polly is its common name, the are funny because one unrolled in the trap as it was closing and then started to panic.

Nicely trashed thread guys. ???

both pill bugs and sow bugs are actually the only terreisatl crusteaceans; just an intresting little tidbit if anyone dident know

This post (too) was dead like 4.5 years ago! Just to talk about if pill bugs are round? haha

WHERE do y'all find these old threads? lol

Wow, again with the thread necromancy.

I'm curious about pill/sow bugs. (Are both considered woodlice, or just the non-rolling variety?)

My experience has been that VFT traps blacken when fed things with thick shells, such as beetles. I've read that this is because the plant can't finish digesting the prey through the thick shell before bacterial rot begins to occur.
I think I once fed a woodlouse to my plant and the trap blackened, but it was a while ago, so I might misremember. What have other people's experiences been?
Might a healthier plant digest a thicker-shelled prey without problems?

Back