What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

outdoor dormancy--just need to be sure

Hi all--

My VFT is a newly tissue cultured baby--so I doubt it will need to go into dormancy this year. But, normally it is an outside plant (loving the humidity and heat of late summer/fall Dallas). Though I know VFT's can withstand low winter temperatures, at least for a short while--I am wondering if I should move it inside for the winter as it is such a youngster. What would you all suggest? If the answer is yes--move it inside--should I employ grow lights or windowsill light?  Thanks for any and all comments!!!!!
smile.gif

I'd keep it outside on the nice days and bring it in for the night.  Next year you can start hardening it off for being out in nastier weather and, if you don't have a lot of days with temps in the low 30s, you may be able to leave it out all winter.   I live in Colorado so it gets a little chillier here, and I have to bring mine in when we are expecting a hard freeze.  So far they have handled a couple of nights at 28°F with nothing worse than the yellowing of some leaves and a drastic slowing in growth.   I have recently placed them in a plastic bag, pots and all, and placed that in a box insulated with shredded paper to help take the edge off the frosty nights (in the mid to high 30s) we have now.   So far they are doing well
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Excellent advice BigCarnivourKid! I especially dig the "plastic bag insulation idea." Sweet! Thanks!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back