What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You Get Your VFT To Eat Dead Flies?

I'm getting a VFT. I think I'm going to keep it inside but how do I get it to eat flies I kill for it since the prey has to struggle for the VFT to close on it completely right? Somebody please help!

Some people pop them in a freezer for a few minutes to stun them.

Not recommended, but if it's very fresh (I prefer to swat them first) yet dead you can place it inside and take a piece of flexible wire or hair and wiggle it on the trigger hairs. Keep wiggling it until the trap is fully closed (can be a bit tricky), that usually works for me.

I'm gonna start posting pics of him so maby someone can tell me if he's healthy? I won't post any yet because I don't even have it yet but as soon as I get it I'll start posting pics.

If you touch just one hair numerous amounts of time can you get it to seal completely?
confused.gif

If the bug is too big, the trap will not close completely around it.

Try to get bugs that are 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the trap.

That would almost ensure the trap will close.

But if the trap is old, temps are cool....the trap may not function right.

Remember that each trap will open and close about 4 times (average )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wickedthistle @ July 09 2002,18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some people pop them in a freezer for a few minutes to stun them.

Not recommended, but if it's very fresh (I prefer to swat them first) yet dead you can place it inside and take a piece of flexible wire or hair and wiggle it on the trigger hairs. Keep wiggling it until the trap is fully closed (can be a bit tricky), that usually works for me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
With regards to michelle's post, I used to do that all the time (wiggle things inside to fool the VFT into thinking it's alive - in my case I used chopped off ends of light gauge electric guitar strings) but I found that I would inevitably damage my traps every now and then when using this method. Better is to very gently squeeze the traps with your fingers to rub the trigger hairs against the dead bug. Do this intermittently for however long a live bug would have lived and that should fool your VFT. Leo

Oh, cool. I've never damaged any traps with my hair method, but I can see how guitar strings would do that! Anyhow, I now get my buggies from the pool, rinse 'em off (and they can't fly away) and pop them in....
tounge.gif

All this is so helping sooo much!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif
Thank you!

Back