What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytraps after (and while) eating

H

honoroll2002

Lately I've been finding small critters and pill bugs for my fly traps to eat. When I put the bugs in, the trap will close like normal. But, the next day when I check my traps, some sort of suction has developed around the insect. Is this supposed to be happening? After the trap opens, will it fall off?
Any Ideas?  
sad.gif

Hi,
That is perfectly normal. The flytrap has made the trap air tight to not let any digestive juices, or the bug fall out. The trap will re-open and it will continue catching bugs. Once the trap opens again, rainwater usually washes the dead exo skeleton out.
Kevin

Hi.. just a little note on this, If the rain doesnt wash the exoskeleton out of the trap, don't worry. The trap will still function. Some of mine have 2 and even 3 carcasses in them. If you want to remove them, the best way to do that without triggering the trap to snap again, is to pluck it out with a pair of tweezers when the trap first begins to open.

Good luck with your plant
Steve

That suction is just the process of digestion. Without that seal, bacteria would spread throughout the plant and the trap would rot.

Back