What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tiny vft growing next to big plant

its not exactly big, but its regualr size. anyway, theres a tiny vft growing right next to it..it looks like its coming from the other plant's bulb. is it attached to the bulb, or is it just growing next to it? it is VERY small right now..each trap is less than half a centimeter. how long would it take it to get to an average size? btw, its a common vft

I have the same thing happening to one of my VFT's I put a post up about it earlier in the week but no one responded to it. The small plant is growing sort of in the middle a little bit off to the side and the traps are really small, I think it just might be another whole plant developing? But I don't know for sure.
biggrin.gif

Congradulations! is a baby! *Hands venus fly trapper A Bubble-Gum Cigar*. Whats happening is what mature venus flytraps do about every other year around spring time. They put out another plant off their rhizome (or bulb as you may say). You can leave it there or seperate it. Leave it there and your pot will become a Pot Of Death (for a fly that is)

How would you go about seperating it from the other plant? I don't think I am going to do this, but I was just curious?

I would leave it until after dormancy, then, with a sharp razor blade cut the connecting tissue.

Then spray down with a fungicide, and pot up the baby.

I have personally never done this, I prefer to let them stay together... that's how they are in nature, why should I interefere!
smile.gif

Back