What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

biggest trap

• Thread starter chinski000
  • Start date
What is the biggest trap anyone has ever? Try give me some kind of measurement if you can't so i can get an idea how big. Just curious.

Hmmmm, this is the kind of question that really needs photographic evidence! Ok people be honest now!
I have a nice extremely vigorous form wich I selected myself. If I feed every trap with maggots during early summer it goes through a growth burst and produces very large colourfull traps wich have reached 3 inches across.

3 INCHES? thats kinda HARD to beleive. anyway, are magots good for them (to the experts) and where do you get them from and what do they look like
thanks

woo 3 inches. ####!

You can get maggots from any garbage can. :biggrin: :cheesy: But seriously get them from a local baitstore. The people there may call them "spikes" as they are a very fat variety and look like fat stout white spikes. But three inches isn't uncommon as it is an unusual size but it is true! But maggots wouldn't surprize me as being benifical to VFT'S. As they eat all rotten food which in turn is put into thier body's and that is nurtritous and they are also full of protien so I may try that as I would like that very much!

3 inches? Out of curiosity what kind of vft is it? I would love to get my hands on one of those
smile.gif

3 inches! WOW!
Richard, which cultivar is that?
Are you growing 'Big Mouth'? I would love to attempt to grow a giant vft.
Instead of maggots, would a small mealworm work?

larry

Woah people....down!!
The plant is a very large and vigorous grwing form but it only produces about 1 large trap after feeding it. The rest of the traps are usually about 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

I've got a photo of a South West Giant - the traps look to be about 1.5 inches long on the ruler that's against it. I would post a pic but the website I tried where they store your picture wouldn't work.
If anyone wants me to send it to them, e-mail me at alexis@clubjordan.co.uk

the biggest my typical and dente forms eva had was 2 inches. i recenlty saw one typical at the bacps meeting and it had 3inch long traps (mouths)!!!! Open Wide

Also, are the maggots u talikng about wax worms?

that is crazy! I have never heard of flytraps that big, though I certainly dont disbelieve any of you!

I think that these plants have it in them to reach their maximum genetic potential, and perhaps we are just starting to see that...

trust me, mines big! it was able to capture a dragon fly once, but the trap rotted because some of the dragonfly was sticking out during digestion. That was about 3 weeks ago. Now the biggest trap i have on a plant is 1 inch big (long). If your curious, the big trap (2inch) survived dormancy some how (actually, the vft didnt go dormant even in fridge!)

Alvin sent me a pretty nice photo of his southwest giant... I was supposed to post it last night... but I forgot. I will try to get it up sometime tomorrow... got plans tonight!
smile.gif

The maggots I use are just normal fly maggots. I get them from a fishing tackle shop. Using maggots can produce vigorous results but it can occasionaly have opposite effects! Last year 2 of the plants I was feeding
(I usually put one maggot in each trap) Decided that after they had digested their meal they were so full of energy there was no need to produce any more traps! The plants produced healthy vigorous wide petioles and the traps were reduced to tiny little bumps! The plants remained very healthy and began producing traps about a month later.

#### i gotta get some of those :biggrin:

i think mine is too small, i just got it,. maybe next year if i am a good daddy and the dormancy goes threw. so far so good! just 2 traps died and 4 more comin ouT!
i wish i hada digital camer or scanner ;[

Ram Puppy - it isn't actually my South West Giant. It's a photo sent to me from a nursery who have them for sale in the spring.

gotcha - well... I seem to have lost the pic some where.. I will keep looking though...

Back