What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New growth is damaged

Good morning all...

My plant seems to have deformed growth! I have posted this before, but didn't get much feedback. The new traps seem to have torn leaves, and sometimes the traps do not develope, they are shriveled up. Why would this happen?
sad.gif

1. what water are you useing?
2. how much water is the plant getting?
3. Is it keept in or out doors?
4. how much sun is the plant getting?

if people know how the plant is being keep't then they might be more able to help.

"Maybe it's not the way the plant is being keep't i could just be the way it is..my common vft has one deformed trap where its teeth are kinda split into two teeth but it works fine so im not worry'd"
smile.gif

First, check out the leaves to see if there is no aphids on it.
If not, well, i think maybe its due to waterlogged roots.
It happened to me when, last month, i was watering my vft as if she was in summer growth and the plant began to have deformed leaves who blackened quickly.
I have removed the water tray for a while and the new growth seems to be ok.
But as Coma said, you must tell us how do you cultivate it.

Well, I keep it in a large covered jar, which had been watered with tap water until I realized that was no good. I put a bucket outside and collected some rain water this weekend, filled a dish and put the VFT in the rain water. It drank almost all the water up! Was it water deprived? To tell you the truth, it did look better this morning than it did on Saturday. I keep my plant indoors, and it probably gets about 4 hours of direct light, and maybe 3-4 of indirect light a day.

The traps that are not properly forming seem shriveled, but I haven't come across any black spots. I don't believe it has aphids, since I haven't seen any in the jar, but when I pulled the plant out of the jar this weekend, I did notice that one or two of the traps had dead aphid like bugs in the mouth of the traps although the traps never closed (too small I assume). Hmmm, am I being a poor home keeper?
sad.gif

keep it out of the jar and keep giveing it rain water, keep an eye on the leaves making sure there are no aphid's.
and try give it more sun light about 4 to 6 hours, see how the new traps go .

thats what i'd try

your Coma
smile.gif

Back