What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my plant turning black? I got it in a 10 gallon tank. I have about 3 inches of perlite on the bottom then peat moss on top of that mixed with some perlite. Then I have some long fibered moss stuff on that with a fluorcenst light above it. I only use distilled water on it. I fed it night crawlers a couple times but it just turned black and now it looks like the whole thing is dying. What should I do to save it?

Mine is turning black too, from the edges of the traps, then it slowly spreads and the traps begin to wither and die. I don't know what to do about it.

JMurphy97 & ssgrock, plants turn black for any number of reasons: transplanting shock, wrong soil media type, and old age being the three most common in my experience. The first just takes time 'til the plant adjusts to its new home. It can be lessend somewhat by not changing its conditions too fast. If it comes with a cover, don't remove the cover and stick it outside in bright sun immediately. Do it in stages so the plant has time to adapt slowly to the changes. The second can usually be corrected by changing the media to sphagnum peat moss (either straight or mixed with sand or perlite), LFS (Long Fiber Sphagnum peat moss) or any other media lacking nutrients. Coconut fiber (coir) has been used by many. The third is part of the natural cycle of the plant and should not be a problem. If the black withered parts bother you, they can be trimmed off. Most people, if they trim their plants, just cut off the blackend portion of the leaf and leave the rest to continue photosynthesizing for the plant.

If you use the search feature, the
m_search.gif
button near the top of the page, to search the VFT topics, you'll find a lot of info and tips.

I have repotted my VFT into a large plastic container with drain holes, I placed the plastic container into a base plate filled with water so the bottem two inches or so of the pot are in water. I have begun using bottled water to water the plant, I replaced the cactus potting mix with a mixture of 1/3 perlite and 2/3 peat moss. I placed the plant outside underneath my deck so it gets part sun, part shade throughout the day and I fed it a wood louse yesterday and it accepted it, so its still alive, and I hope the nutrients from the bug will help to pep it up a bit. I feel pretty confident that the VFT is going to spring back pretty well and eventually flourish in its new home.

Hello, Im new to VFTs and to this site. I really don't know a thing about them, only what i read on that CP FAQ site. I am going to order it later today, and i have no idea when to put it in the fridge, how cold to set it or when to take it out.

HELP ME!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nice job . Info on how to make the seeds helpful. My redd VFT and the Green have died (they are outside ) and I suspect aphids . I saw a tiny mite like bug and I figured it helped itseklf withe the flytraps and it or others were now on a pictcher which I cutoff and sprayed .
I got insecticide and sprayed them, my pitchers and in the terrarium

I will have to get some new VFT . These might come back but I doubt it.

Eric Flescher
dreric1kansas@aol.com

very good, you definatley know this stuff
smile.gif

warnig NEVER FEED HAMBURGER MEAT OR TACOBELL allways amaze me.... does realy someone can thing to feed VFT whith hamburger??
ooo.gif

They are called "carnivorous" plants which more or less means "flesh" or meat eating. Technically "insectivorous" is more to the point but not as dramatic sounding and some pitcher do trap frogs, small birds, reptiles and rodents.

Indeed, if you watch the video on the dunecraft site they even talk about having fed the VFT hamburger.

never thought about it.  we call it not so dramaticaly
biggrin.gif
in lithuanian language carnivorous plants are "insectivorous plants"
smile.gif
 and therefore all my friends ask "what?! now i will have to bring flyes every time when i come to visit you?!"
laugh.gif

INTRO: Venus flytraps ( Dionaea muscipula ) are one of the world's most well known cp (carnivorous plant ) . It was first described by the govenor of North Carolina , Governor Arthur Dobbs in 1763 . He named it flytrap sensitive and was later known as the venus flytrap named after Diana , the greek goddess of love and beauty by a swedish botanist .

Actually that would be Aphrodite, Diana is the Goddess of hunting. :)

Wow! this sheet is really helpful to me.
thank you very much! Goldtrap!!:-D

ugh Even after so long I'm still a noob. I have a quick question:what do you mean by air circulation? How do I make sure my VFT (which is outside in pure peat and is so far doing fine) gets the right air circulation?

I have a quick question:what do you mean by air circulation? How do I make sure my VFT (which is outside in pure peat and is so far doing fine) gets the right air circulation?

Air circulation is the movement of air around the plant. If the air doesn't move it gets stagnant and less fresh. Having air movement around the plant is better so the air doesn't get "old." If it's outside then it is fine unless you keep it in a dome (which I doubt). Most people talk about air circulation with reference to indoor growing since sometimes air doesn't move around much inside since there is no wind. That is why many people utilize fans around their plants inside.

xvart.

great care cheat 2 thumbs up:-O

Finally! I wrote this in like 6th or 7th grade and it sounded like a baby playing with a microwave. I'm not in 12th grade and corrected anything that needed to be corrected and updated the info.

Bon appetit

Holy shoot! You've been growing VFTs that long?!

Last Page

Is there a way for me to jump to the last page of a thread? I pretty much browse the Glock Talk most recent post page, and I have to click on the thread and then click to the last page. Does my question even make sense?

...If a thread is more than a page long, it lists the pages. If it's a really long one, it says "Last Page."

Is that what you want to know?

Back