What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another vft rescued from the clutches of lowes

I bought a VFT from Lowe's today to try and rescue the poor thing. Out of 10 VFT "plants" that were there, all but two were dead! The poor plant is very thin and weak looking. I don't think I should transplant it now, but I bought some pertlite and some sphagnum peat moss anyway to be ready. What is the best way to mix this when I do transplant it?(once I've nursed it back to health of course)

P.S feel free to msg me if you see me on AOL
tounge.gif

Well, pretty much, all you have to do is put half perlite and half peat in a big cup/container thing and mix it all together well, then put it in the pot and moisten it very well, and continue from there!

Good luck!
FTG

I think you do not want to repot in now. If it's already weak, repotting is more stress. Let it recover and repot next spring. I bought 1 from lowes that was weak and had long thin stems. Now that it's been out in the sun the new traps are getting a nice red color and the stems are not long and thin anymore.

My very first vft was from Lowes... yea that was a while ago. It wasn't saved but was just bought. I think they had just restocked. Anyhow, I hope your vft recovers quickly.

Wes

P.S. Have you ever seen any of those little terrarium kits that they offer. The ones you put together. Ive never seen them so I was wondering if you have to request.
confused.gif

One thing I'd like to add is, I have found it considerably easier if I moisten the peat in a seperate bowl and then mix it with the sand. This way I can make sure that I dont leave any dry lumps in the pot. Also I use sand instead of Pearlite, but that is strictly personal preference.

Good luck with your plant
Steve

UPDATE!!!

Before I received any replies from anyone, another member of this site messaged me on AOL and suggested that I repot the vft. I did, and yesterday I noticed that there's new growth! Maybe I DO have a green thumb...
biggrin.gif
I couldn't resist and bought one at WalMart as well, but that one is in better conditions than the one from Lowe's. Thanks again for all your advice!!!

Lilly

Back