What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a/c water

i heard somewhere or read somewhere that the water dripping from a/c's are ok to use on cp's. am i right? because there is a lot of water dripping from the drip pipe outside in my yard. if its safe, can i just leave the plant there?

Depends what the water has come into contact with...

I don't know if I would try it on your favorite VFT
smile.gif
maybe try it on a less prized VFT first to see ow it goes. I have one VFT that I have been experimenting with, all my others are in too good of shape to put them at risk of dying, that would be devestating......to me at least I love my CP's
biggrin.gif

I just started using the a/c water on my VFT and pitcher plant this past week. So far, no problems...but too early to tell.

I collect the water in a pucket as the water falls from the pipe.

Have not run any test on the a/c water yet.

The only thing that might cause problems is if the cooling coils, drip tray and drain hose are dirty which may spread fungus spores to your CPs when you water them. If the drip trays, coils, and hoses are kept clean, that would reduce the chance of spreading fungus to your CPs.

I highly would not reccomend using that water. It's for the same reason you shouldn't use tap water. The metal has chemicals that may contain lead and other chemicals that are in tap water. Your VFT should not be exposed to these chemicals
smile.gif

NO DON'T DO IT! hehe. actually i used to work for whirlpool, kitchenaid, roper. beleave it or not people would call and ask if they could drink it. and well we had the answer. NO! YOU MAY NOT. i did have the details on why but not now. i know it included bacteria (since it lives on the condenser coils which is where it is cold and the water condenses) and other chemicals that come from the contact to the water from those coils. so i would say "In my professional opinon, no." hehe.
lates,
andrew

r u sure? cus my vfts have grown a LOT since ive been using that water...the water forms a little pool about 1/4~1/2 inch deep and i just put the pot in it. if there is bacteria, how can i test it? also, i saw little froglets around it. they dont look deformed or anything so could that be a sign that the water is ok?

yes, i am sure. as you can see i have been here quite some time yet don't post much. mostly because i only post if i am positive. (uless otherwise noted
smile.gif
) i don't know how you can test it. as for the "froglets" bacteria won't cause deformed frogs... but it can make them sick. i don't know what these things can do to a vft. but if we care so much for our plants, why risk it. if it is working for you GREAT! the facts i have stated were given to us as a human consomption warning. also watering of plants was not recomened as the bacteria could grow in the pot (pending conditions) and still get to the human.
lates,
andrew

I have been using the water from my basement dehumidifier for over a year now on my current terrarium. I have not had any ill effects. During my 4H years, I had a terrarium and used the water from my parents dehumidifier. When I was a student at the Ohio State University's Agricultural Institute, my professor and I used the water from the condensing coils of the greenhouse refigerators. This included watering of VFTs, Pitcher Plants, Sundews, and Butterwarts. The year before I graduated from ATI, we even used the water on a new Nepenthes.

My 2 cents.  
wink.gif

well, I don't know about the bacteria, I am sure you are being honest and truthful, but I have seen growers using the condensation off their air conditioners for YEARS with no ill effects...

and if bacteria is the ONLY problem, then a simple boiling of the water would suffice...

however, I think the 'air conditioner water' I have heard others using is from window mounted units...

If you have a big pipe coming out of your house to the unit, then I confess, I have seen some pretty nasty stuff coming out of those...

sweet!! that is great that the water can be used and that all these people are having such great luck with it. myself (living in the desert) ac is not all that too common (we use swamp coolers.) and dehumidifiers don't exsist. so unfortuantly i have no personal experience with this excess water that you all are refering to except what comes out from under my truck!! i had actually always thought that they (whirlpool) just say things just incase.. perhaps making it sound worse than it really is. so if someone did drink it, they were protected.... so, from what i hear here (hehe) it sounds ok as long as you get the water directly... not from a pipe.
lates,
andrew

Back