What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep it off the soil?

I just got my first trap from wal-mart and the selection was not great..... The leaves and traps looked sick and there was black on the leaves.. I bought it anyway It looks like crap but after a couple of days in the sun it now has 2 small sprouts coming up.. Is their hope for this plant? And should I try to keep the traps and leaves from touching the moss.. I noticed the parts of the plants that were touching it were the ones turning black...

Please help... Thanks

congrats on your new vft and welcome too the forums

your vft sounds like it is going to be fine
as for the leaves touching the soil well just let them die unless they are brand new most leaves that are touching the soil are old and dont do muchgood to the plant any way so I would just let them die back

if you neeed any more info please pm me

Kyle.W

Hey Derrick, welcome!

Couple of quick tips:
1) use only purifies, distilled or rain water. Tap water has too many minerals (and sometimes chemicals).
2) Use recomended soil mixture. Potting soil will kill it. See the plant care section for good soil. I use spagnum pete moss and perlite in roughly a 2:1 mixture. Seems to work.
3) place pot in a tray of about 1 inch of water
4) 4-6 hours of direct sun, but remember to introduce slowly if you sun is strong (like an irishman in hawaiin sun, too much too fast is a sunburn&#33
wink.gif

Hope this helps, good luck with the bugger!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back