Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Green moss growing on top

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick Point:

Well water (something I am fairly familiar with having two wells on our land) is likely full of dissolved solids, and is at the very least feeding your algae/moss growth.

Flush your pots with distilled water and discontinue it's use. THe effects are cumulative, but they will build up and they will damage your plants eventually, maybe even to death.

If you are willing to re-pot, do so in a nice mix of peat and perlite, or you can buy horticultural sand, or a product called Gro-Cor from ********** (Gro-Cor is washed and sterilized Hydroponics Grade Coco-fiber) Gro-Cor is great stuff. I used it in a 50/50 mix when re-doing my terrarium, and I now use it in ALL of my plantings. Perlite is ugly.

Anyhow, imho, I would unpot the plants, leaving a little medium around the roots, preferrably an intact as possible ball, and re-pot them, that lets you flush and rejuvenate the soil at the same time your ridding the pots of the moss.

(Oh, and you can always nuke your media in the microwave if you truly want it to be sterile, but I think this is only good if your starting seedlings.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (RamPuppy @ June 04 2003,7:56)
    (Oh, and you can always nuke your media in the microwave if you truly want it to be sterile, but I think this is only good if your starting seedlings.[/QUOTE]
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, thanks for posting those links, very useful information is there.

Generally, the fact that there are enough nutrients to support non-sphagnum moss species is a fine indicator that something needs attending to as regards your water or your mix.

Sheet moss, even when not visably overwhelming the plant is an indicator that unless steps are taken, plants will be lost. This is especially true for seedlings: their delicate roots are easily lost in mediums with mineral content, similat to "fertilizer burn" in non-CP species.

The process is an escalating one, but the initial micronutrients present in the mix are the real culprit: avoid these and you are on the right road. Once moss lives, it also dies, and the decomposing moss in turn adds nutrients into an already stressed system.
    "Grow More, Share More"

4. Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123