What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations For Repotting Vft's In Bigger Pot

i am going to replant all my vft's in one bigger container by popping the vfts out of there pots so they dont go into shock.any kind of hints on container?

I just repotted mine to another bigger plastic one, and it is fine, and didn't even go into shock!!!

Do not plant in terra cotta pots. They contain harmful stuff that may harm your plants.

i heard plastic is the best,what size width depth etc?

I like the 3 inch plastic pots, with the watering trays attached underneath.
greendragon.jpg

i didnt mean small pot like that one,i meant a larger one.and what would be a good medium to hold in the peat moss when the water drains?

The peat moss shouldn't come out of the bottom of the pot at all.

CPSINC

I'm going to assume you're using the milled sphagnum peat moss. You can keep it in the new pot by packing moistend long strand sphagnum in the bottom or by fishing out the large chunks of milled sphagnum from your bag and placing them over the holes or I've used peices of unbleached coffee filters.

Oh! BIG pots. For the bottom I line it with bark from orchid mix, on top of that a mix of mostly perlite. On top of that 50-50 peat/perlite, peat only for the top layer (I hate how perlite molds&#33
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

it sure is hard to get distilled water and dry peat moss to mix
smile.gif

I zap about 2 to 3 cups of distilled water in the microwave for a minute or so to warm it up.  You just need it warmed up.  Not steaming or boiling hot.  It is absorbed quicker by the moss.  Just be careful you don't burn yourself by getting it too hot and let the moss cool down before putting plants in it.

I always use green moss as a top coat ( never in the soil) because its hard to get lfs here. It keeps the peat off the leaves ( looks tacky) and makes the pot look more finished.
Jack

Back