What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! not eating!

I have fed my VFT an ant and a flying ant and a fly...they were all dead cept for one fly...it didnt eat any of them even the live one. Why is this and howcome its not eating?

And yes, the plant is new...about 7 cm high...and traps (at largest are 2.5 cm wide)

Welcome to the forums.

Venus flytraps require that the food be live in order to properly begin the trapping and digestive process. Venus flytraps have 6 or more trigger hairs that must be activated in order for the trap to close in on the prey. Once the prey has been caught, the plant will continue to squeeze the prey until the trap is fully closed. However, if the prey does not move during this process, the plant assumes that the object in the trap has no nutritional value and therefor will reopen.

You may want to give your plant some time to adjust to its new environment. When plants are moved from place to place, they get stressed and do not deal well with environmental changes and in the case of Venus Flytraps, they may get harmed more by feeding them before they are settled into their new homes.

Don't worry, once the plant begins growing new leaves, it will be ready to catch insects that happen to crawl into its traps.

I have trouble reading your post.Could ya correct it so I can help you.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back