What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW PFT OWNER HERE

Hello Everyone........
I am new here, and have enjoyed reading all of the postings.
They all have been very informative!!!
Well, I have just purchased a VFT (sadly to say from a national reatail establishment), but am concerned that I may keep my condominium too cool for it. It seems to be doing great however.
I keep it in the window sill, plenty of light, and in a saucer of distilled water.
The avg temp in the room that the vft is in is about 72 - 75 degrees.
Will this be too cool for it?
**By the way, I just purchased more flytraps from this site, and will make it my only source for CP'S from now on!!!

Welcome to the forums frogger! Your tempeture shouldnt be a problem, as long as you give it at least 50% humidity and water! Good luck! you'll end up falling in love with cp's!

It should be fine just keep it away from the AC vent(or as far as possible) and make sure it gets plenty of light.(light is more important than the AC vent issue though) Just my opinion but the humidity wont matter that much and what state are you in?

Hi, I`ve been growing vft`s on my kitchen windowsill for 3 years now and they are doing great. I live in Connecticut, we pretty much have the a/c on all summer because the humidity here is terrible. As long as they get a good amount of sun through the window and plenty of distilled or rain water they should be fine.

well, they've pretty much covered it! Welcome!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

three conditions usually concern CP growers, Humidity, Water Quality (ANd enough of it), and Light (assuming soil is already taken care of)

Most CP growers go by the rule of thumb that if you can get 2 of these conditions right, then your doing great.

Humidity is an easy one to ignore with flytraps and sarracenia, but not with nepenthes and sundews... those require a little more effort!

Congrats on your plant, I am sure your gonna do great!

Thanks for the info!!!
I made sure that the vft isn't in the way of any AC currents.
As a matter of fact, I just realized that the sill that it is sitting on is the furthest away it could possibly from any AC currents in the entire apartment!!!
I live in Downtown Baltimore, MD, and it can get pretty humid, although that's why I have the AC running constantly!!
smile.gif

Wow 72-75 degrees is fine!

Back