What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird long stem

P

Pacino1901

I bought my 2 Green Dragon FLytraps about 6 months ago. Thankfully, they have both thrived. Recently, I noticed a very long stem, almost a foot in length growing out of the pot, straight up in the air from the center of one of my plants. The top of this stem is splitting into 4 things. I do not know what these things are, but there are no more traps growing out of this plant. The other plant, which is in the same pot, is doing fine. WHat is growing from my baby, and what should I do about it? Please help me.

If you want your VFT to continue to thrive; snip it off.

It is flowering and is VERY taxing on the plant. That is why it is not producing any more traps. If curiosity gets the best of you and you want to see it flower, then go ahead, but your plant may not recover, (but then again, it may)

My VFT'S are doing the same thing; it's Spring time
smile.gif

don't snip it off! VFTs rarely die from flowering, it will be fine. and snipping it off will do no good, after it is over 6 inches, it's already taken the energy from the plant. if you snip it off now it will not help it.
welcome to the forums!

Ask the owners of this forum and they will advise you, especially if you are new to snip it off if you don't want to risk losing your plant.

If your plant is VERY robust to begin with, it may do fine;
I myself am not a gambler.

Spektabilis 73 may be right in saying that what's done is done.

I don't throw around advice carelessly, and remember, I said it is your choice.  Do a little research on this forum and you will see what I mean.  Search 'flowering'

Just to confuse things more, Schnell maintains that cutting the stem early on can result in the formation of a new stem. He recommends waiting until the stem actually has a flower or two on it before trimming.

steveo

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (steveo @ April 14 2003,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just to confuse things more, Schnell maintains that cutting the stem early on can result in the formation of a new stem.  He recommends waiting until the stem actually has a flower or two on it before trimming.

steveo[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
HA! That's where I read that! You see, you see, I wasn't making it up!... (sorry got beat on for mentioning that befor)

To answer the question at hand, seeing as the plant is not growing new traps, I would recomend removal of the stem at this point, if for no other reson then to be caustious about it's decline.

I have to agree with Spectabilis73.  VFTs seldom die from flowering unless they are doing poorly to begin with.  It will take a lot of energy from your plant that it normally puts into growing and forming traps and roots.  This will show as a slowing in the growth of the plant which may take several weeks/months from which to recover before it to resumes growing at its normal rate.  If the growth in the center of your VFT is still healthy looking, then I think you might as well wait to see the flowers since your plant is so close to flowering anyhow.  If your not interested in seeing the flowers or trying to get seeds to set (I would recommend waiting till next year to set seed) or the center growth doesn't look good, then cut the stalk off to rechannel nutrients back into other parts of the plant.

Now that being said, I trim my flower stalks off when they are about an inch long so that my plants will grow larger.

edited 4-12-03 @ 8:40pm
With all respect to Mr. Scnell, I must disagree with him.  I have always trimmed my flower stalks as soon as I could and seldom has the plant sent up a second stalk. On the other hand, I have let my plants flower in the spring and they have sent up a second and occasionally a third flower stalk again, later in the Summer/Fall. It is my opinion that trimming the stalks has nothing to do with a second stalk being formed but is more an indication of either the good care the plant has received or is a stress response.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ April 13 2003,06:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and snipping it off will do no good, after it is over 6 inches, it's already taken the energy from the plant. if you snip it off now it will not help it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I disagree with that..
snipping the flower stalk after 6" will STILL benefit the plant..
a LOTmore energy goes into seed production than went into just the initial "growing of the stalk"..
so even snipping a tall stalk, that has not yet flowered, will help the plant greatly..you are still saving all that "future" energy that would have gone into flowering and seed production..
IMO, always snip the flower stalk, no matter how tall it is..
Scot

If you do decide to make it seed - Good Luck - Hope it goes good and then also I hope the seedlings will grow well too!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want your VFT to continue to thrive; snip it off.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You see,

we all agree
smile.gif

Alright, you win.
wink.gif
tounge.gif
But I think you would benifit more with letting it flower and set seed; years of enjoyment of watching the seed sprout, grow, and grow, untill they themselves flower!
smile.gif

-Spec

Keep it! It will flower soon enough.

When I first got mine (last year) each plant grew a single flower stalk. But this year, each one is already producing about 3 stalks!!!

I cut my flower stalks. Never had them produce any additional ones. I don't need/want seeds and I'd rather the plant's energies go towards growing traps.

Just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

Suzanne

I snipped mine off as soon as I saw them and NEVER had
one pop up in it's place.  That's not to say that it never would happen.  

Some day I WILL let mine flower, just for the experience, but I think for the benefit of new people, I feel the best advice would be side on caution and advise to snip them off; or at least to warn them of Not snipping them off. not us having all of the pertinent information required to make an accurate assumption of whether or not their plant is in ideal conditions, etc.

I feel this would be best.  

If Pacino isn't confused by now; at least Pacino is very informed.  That's what I like about this forum; debate is VERY HEALTHY and educational; and I love everyone here and have learned much from Spektabilis and Darcie, etc.

p.s to Darcie : I remember that slamming you took.

wink.gif

To Spektabilis;

I am interested in growing from seed for the experience that you described; I too feel it would be rewarding; albeit slow.

Do you need to freeze the seeds before planting? If so, for how long. I'm thinking on trading some Sensitive Plant seeds (Mimosa Pudica) for some VFT seeds in the trading post.

Gary

no, but a little stratifacation process is recomended.
smile.gif
All you do is sow them in a 50/50 peat/sand mix, and stick the pot in the fridge. 3 weeks later take put the pot and stick it in bright light and in warm conditions, you'll get seedlings in about 3 weeks.
smile.gif

-Spec

Ok

have the medium moist, but not wet when going into the fridge?

Steve here...
Newbee, has a question... My flytrap has three flowering stems growing out of it. Should I cut them off or leave it. It grew one last summer also and the plant seems fine.
Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (z4lunch @ April 16 2003,01:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Steve here...
Newbee, has a question... My flytrap has three flowering stems  growing out of it. Should I cut them off or leave it.  It grew one last summer also and the plant seems fine.
Steve
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'd remove one since three is a little excessive for one plant

Back