What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft soil

I just bought some "Scotts Potting Soil" which is a mixture of peat and perlite "with added phosphorus" does this stuff sound okay? It didn't seem to have any fertilizer, but the phosphorus kinda makes me worry, what do you think?

honestly, i don't know if i would use it. have you opened the bag yet? if not, i would just take it back to the store and exchange it for a bag of scotts sphagnum peat moss. of course, then you will also need to buy a bag of perlite to mix in with the sphagnum peat moss (mix it about 50/50).

better safe than sorry.

peace,
technoracer

Phosphorus is a part of the fertilizer that is important for plant growth it is the P part of the NPK (Nitrogen,Phosphorus,Potasium) on the fertilizer bag.  I wouldn't use it on my plants without testing it on a spare plant to see if it harms the plant.  Otherwise take the bag back and exchange it for one of plain sphagnum peat.

I agree with BCKid. Don't use anything with added nutrients for your CPs. Use only sphagnum peat, perlite, and/or silica sand. Buy them separately and mix yourself. I have noticed that even some perlite bags have added fertilizer. Read the labels carefully.

####... why oh why did I wait to ask this question after I opened the bag... and put it in my terrarium... luckily I haven't planted my flytrap into it yet, I left it in the pot, but now I have to scoop it all out and go and buy some new stuff... oh well, the little ones are worth it...

At least you asked before you put your plant in it
wink.gif
smile.gif

Be sure to wash out your terrarium, the phosphorus can hang around.

Also, in general I advise against the use of scotts soils for CP's, some batches PFT has used killed the plants, I believe it was traced back to the wetting/cutting agents scotts was using to make the peat more absorbant.

I personally think Schultz makes a great product, and if your doing a large area, I have never had a problem with any of the big bales sold at home depot or lowes (or even the four seasons on military bases for those of you in that line of work&#33
wink.gif

would you say most of the scotts killed the plants? should I just buy the moss from pft?

You can buy peat moss, sphagnum moss, perlite, ect at any home depot or garden center, but I'm sure that pft would like your business too, so it's up to you I guess.

Hello,
I recenlty bought a VFT and read up on them to ensure a healthy plant. One thing I noted was to use moss instead of soil so I bought what is called "Sheet Moss." I know VFTs like acidic substrates, will this sheet moss I purchased suffice?
Thanks!
Chris

Isn't sheet moss a bad thing for cp's?
confused.gif

Sheetmoss is I think the moss mentioned in Savage Garden as a no no but I don't remember for sure, and I have nothing to back it up.

Peat moss peat moss peat moss...

No sheetmoss, NO, NO, NO!! This is simply dried green moss, which is more or less neutral in pH, and has little to no aeriation, so it will quickly kill them, even with perlite, sand, etc... Just my 4 penny halves!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
tounge.gif

Back