What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splitting vft's from the main root ball

• Thread starter corranhorn
  • Start date
How long does it generally take a trap that has been taken from the original root ball to begin sprouting new traps of it's own?

Are you talking about a leaf cutting? If so, it will probably be a matter of about 6 weeks.

SF

I do believe that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. Just to be sure that is what I meant, each "trap" on a VFT is a leaf, correct? So in cutting one leaf from the rest at the root itself would be a leaf cutting. If what we are saying is the same thing, then that answers my question.
biggrin.gif
Thank you very much.

corranhorn,

You are correct in the "trap" being the leaf of a flytrap, but a leaf cutting is done with the entire leaf.  From the trap down to the white tissue at the base of the leaf where it attaches to the rhizome.  The white part of the flytrap leaf is where the new plants sprout on the cutting.  That said, Nick Hubble (I think it was Nick) posted a picture a couple weeks ago showing new plants growing from a trap that had broken off which he treated as a cutting.  The new plants sprouted from the point where the trap attaches to the petiole.  So while you may get new plants to grow from the trap, the best success is usually from the whole leaf.

Good growing
smile.gif

Great. I got a couple that I cut off from my main plant a little while ago, so I should be seeing results in the next few weeks or so. Thanks again for all the help and info.
smile.gif

Back