What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White "worms" ?

G

I bought 3 VFT Green Dragon "bulbs" and they all seemed to be growing fine until recently. I noticed all growth had stopped so I picked up the pots and to my horror all the leaves fell off. They look like something ate at them. There are little white worm looking things all over in the soil.. could these be the culprit? If so, what are they? How do I get rid of them? I'm guessing I'll have to treat the whole tank as these plants were in the same terrarium with a bunch of drosera and utrics.. help!

Are the worms small and transparent, with the black intestines visible? (pleasant&#33
wink.gif
They could be fungus gnat larvae. You could spray the soil with an insecticide (no copper or fatty acid insecticides though). You also need a sundew to catch the flying adults.

EW! They sound like the things attacking my fish... I don't know what they are but I bet you anything they are the culprits. (put those broken leaves into the leaf cutting processes so you have some of the plants left)

Yes.. they are somewhat transparent and I can see the black intestines..
Would a dose of Orthene do the trick? And will it hurt my other CPs?

It sounds like fungus gnat larvae to me...

And I don't think that was the problem..

For all the leaves to fall off....to me that means rot.

Orthene will work, but I wouldn't use anyother type.

You can submerge the plant for a couple of days to kill the bugs, but if the plant is rotting, that won't be a good idea.

The sundews will ONLY work for the adult gnats...No adults, no babies

I have heard that fungus gnats have the potential to harm plants, but I have never expierenced it...
confused.gif

Everyone seems to get those! A non-harmful way to get rid of them is to sumerge your vft overnight (24 hours minimum, I did 48) and they are all dead!

If ya get them again, do it again! Your vft may like it. But keep in mind they will kill your VFT they eat anything aro0und them including plants.

I know it sounds like rot but I've seen rot many times and it doesn't look like rot. The leaves are perfectly healthy except for having been disconnected. There was no sign of rot and I just don't think they were wet enough..
I'll try the Orthene for the bugs and see what happens..
But who knows.. with my luck this week I wouldn't put anything past them.. first the Ceph and now this.. Grrr..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (purplesundew @ Oct. 07 2002,1:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know it sounds like rot but I've seen rot many times and it doesn't look like rot. The leaves are perfectly healthy except for having been disconnected. There was no sign of rot and I just don't think they were wet enough..
I'll try the Orthene for the bugs and see what happens..
But who knows.. with my luck this week I wouldn't put anything past them.. first the Ceph and now this.. Grrr..[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
plant the broken leaves
smile.gif
Kill the nats.... erm going to put snapper underwater now!

Good luck with your fish Darcie
smile.gif
How are they doing?

That happened to my fish,darcie. all you do is leave the lid open all day and they dry out! they can not live in water but on the sides of the tank where water evaporated and is humid.fill the tank all the way up to drouwn them,and then leave the tank lid open for 12-24 hours and wipe the plastic that the light is standing on.they don't hurt the fish,I think,but they have killed several of my plants. I see them inbedded in the riozomes. and sometimes they will eat the roots of young plants,and maybe older plants.get a terrestrial bladderwort and a sundew an put them close to the plants or in the same pot, or so close so the pots are toutching. Hope I could help
confused.gif

Spectabilis73

Im no expert, but it sounds to me like fungus gnats too.

Back