What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting the seeds from my green dragon

P

Pacino1901

I want to thank everybody for your help wih my "weird long stem", I have decided to let it flower. Now the question is,

1. How do I go about collecting the seed?
2. Is there going to be more than one?
3. What do I do with it (them), once I collect them?
4. Do I have to do anything extra to get it to make a seed?

Please help a college kid with a lot of info on finance and accounting, but not much on plants.
sad.gif

Well, since we both are in the process of getting seed from our venus flytraps, I might as well post this information.

I would like to first state that the information found in the link is correct to the best of my knowledge, and any corrections or comments are welcome. The page is not complete and I will continue to update the information over the course of the growth of my seedling vfts.

Venus Flytraps from seed.

Excellant page Nick.  Nicely laid out and concise.
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif
-- I give it 4 out of 4 smilies!

Great page Nick - I liked the photos! Can I have permission to print it out? I promise I won't show anyone - Just a lil copy for me to look at if I ever decide to make seeds!
biggrin.gif

Nick, you say a VFT has to be 5 years old to flower. All mine that I got from the hosts of this forum are sending up flowers, (although except for 2 I've cut them off.)

Does that mean that they are 5 years old? Or do they grow quicker at the producer's nurseries?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ April 14 2003,6:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nick, you say a VFT has to be 5 years old to flower. All mine that I got from the hosts of this forum are sending up flowers, (although except for 2 I've cut them off.)

Does that mean that they are 5 years old? Or do they grow quicker at the producer's nurseries?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Tissue culture plants grow faster then seed plants.

VFT can't usually self pollinate. You probubly won't get seed, or very few if your lucky. Just thought I'd let you know that.

The seeds that I am currently collecting are from two Red Dragons. I did self pollinate the flowers. Because the flowers were not cross pollinated, the seed set is low. An average of 5 seeds per pod. The reason I self pollinated the plants is that each is a clone of the other. I am not sure if a better seed set would have resulted if I had cross pollinated the two clones. My original intent was to cross a Dente with a Red Dragon. However the Dente did not flower at the same time. I later terminated the flower stalk on the Dente as the health of the plant was questionable.

Plants produced by tissue culture do grow much faster than plants from seed. The two Red Dragons I have were purchased from pft and were potted up on 11/28/2002. The first flower opened on 3/9/2003.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NickHubbell @ April 14 2003,7:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The seeds that I am currently collecting are from two Red Dragons. I did self pollinate the flowers. Because the flowers were not cross pollinated, the seed set is low. An average of 5 seeds per pod. The reason I self pollinated the plants is that each is a clone of the other. I am not sure if a better seed set would have resulted if I had cross pollinated the two clones. My original intent was to cross a Dente with a Red Dragon. However the Dente did not flower at the same time. I later terminated the flower stalk on the Dente as the health of the plant was questionable.

Plants produced by tissue culture do grow much faster than plants from seed. The two Red Dragons I have were purchased from pft and were potted up on 11/28/2002. The first flower opened on 3/9/2003.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Lets hope the seed is fertile then
smile.gif
I know a lot of people have tried it with no luck, but not with Red Dragons.

How do I know if i've pollinated it correctly before I wait 5 - 6 weeks to see if I've done it right?

I have updated my Venus Flytraps from Seed page. I added some information and corrected some spelling errors. Please let me know if the new data corrupts the true intent of the page. I sometimes get to be a wind bag.

I added a bit about tissue cultured plants. Please correct any errors in my thinking/judgement.

There is a bit about successful pollination. I hope to soon add a newer photo of the seed with a ruler to allow those that have never seen the seed to get a better idea of the actual size.

Oh, and there might be a plug in there. Let me know if that should stay or be taken out. I really don't want to get partial to one nursery.

Hope you all enjoy. And please let me know of any corrections, additions, or things I need to take out.

thanks,

nick

I like the updated seed page. Thanks for the link.

Can someone post the URL I can't find the seed page.

Hey Darcie...pssst...look up...second message...
tounge.gif
wink.gif

*I feel really stupid. I looked right at that post and didn't see it*

I think it's great, but you should mention that self pollination will yeild little or no seed because I hear a whole lot about unsuccessfull tries at this (probubly from imbreeding)

Back