What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - grrrrrr...

About a month ago I was checking up on my VFT and I noticed it had caught something - Something BIG!!! I put the plant up to some light and you can almost see the insect inside. I realised it was probably a bee or wasp.
About 10 days later the trap started to blacken at the edge.A couple of days ago I got out my mini scissors and sniped the trap/leaf off. Naturaly I wanted to look inside the trap. I opened the trap and what I saw made me let out a long EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! A half digested bee lay inside - YUCK! But the thing was, it was where the bees sting, was where the trap had blackened! So, Does this mean the venom from bees can kill VFT's? Who Knows?

Jus thought you orght to know!
wink.gif

P.S Did you like my 'lil' story!!!
biggrin.gif

Yes, yes I did like your story.
smile.gif
That's an interesting theory that you've brought up. If I can find a bee laying around somewhere, maybe i'll try feeding a trap the stinger and see what happens. Who knows, maybe you've found out one of the VFT's allergies.
wink.gif

Here's a thought:

When a bee or wasp is trapped, they tend to try to sting everything....this means that the stinger may have pierced the leaf (possibly a few times)...this could mean that the seal was broken enough for fungus or whatever to find a way in...

hmmmm

Yeah, I think stinger venom is what kills VFTs traps, not only from bees, but anything with a stinger. For instance: A few weeks ago, I fed my VFT a HUGE red carpenter ant or whatever, and later on, the trap began to rot. It started from one spot. When it opened, half-rotted, later, I looked closely and saw that, right in the spot that the rot had started at, the ant's big, painful stinger was embedded into the inside of the trap!
wow.gif

So that proves the theory I guess! ***smiles proudly at what she had proved***

I know
smile.gif
- That's what I thought. So it is true
wow.gif
- Make sure your VFT doesn't catch a wasp/bee.......somehow?
confused.gif

It could also be that the hole created by the stinger/bite created an entry point for fungus and bacteria to get into the leave tissue. Either way you look at it the leave will die.

My VFTs frequently eat wasps with no problems. Maybe the insect was just too big for the trap to digest it, espcially if it was big bumble bee.

Back