What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant VFT Seeds Now,Or Wait for Warmer Weather?

I have some VFT seeds, and I am planning to grow them outside in pots. I am wondering if I should plant them now, in early March, when the weather is still cold. I could bring the pots inside at night to prevent them from freezing. Or should I wait until the weather warms up a little? I got these seeds through the mail from Cooks and I am not sure if they are stratified or not.

Barry,

I would contact Dean and ask if they've been stratified... if not, then put them in the fridge for about 5 weeks, then bring them out to plant.

If that HAVE, I would still wait until it gets a bit warmer... only because, if they start to sprout.. and you get a cold spell, it'll really do some damage
sad.gif

If they have been...

You can also plant them, just place by a window.

you don't really need the light until they sprout. You just don't want the cold temperatures.

Sometimes the seeds can take a while to sprout, so I would plant them indoors and then move them out once they have sprouted. That way you can keep an eye on them to make sure that they are doing ok ( the baby plants )

Thanks, I have E mailed Dean to ask him if the seeds have been stratified. I also have some pitcher plant and sundew seeds from him.

So, they don't really need much light to sprout? How about humidity? I am running out of room in my terrarium. I wonder if I could plant the seeds outside my terrarium, or if they would do better in more humid conditions. Eventually they will go outside, and we do have humid summers here in Baltimore.

Hey barry...
since you live in baltimore, definately keep everything inside until the average date of your last frost for the year. (ours is only 9 days away here in San Antonio! YAY! Spring is almost here!)

you can sprout your seeds almost any where, in almost any container... to increase humidity, cover the container with Plastic Wrap. When the little guys are sprouting, punch holes in it, just little ones, and then a few days later, remove the plastic, harden em off a little that way, better safe than sorry right?

when you take them outside, put them in the shade first, slowly moving to sunnier positions... new growth is based on current conditions, leaves grown in low light situations will burn if not properly acclimated.

My 16.5 cents.

Rampuppy, that is a good idea, covering with plastic wrap until they sprout.
I've been looking for some small plastic pots, any idea where they are sold cheaply? Last year I bought some in the dollar store but haven't been able to find them this year.

I have a plan to plant outside a little early with some of my seedlings. Leave them outside during the day and bring them in at night. As long as I don't forget one night and let them freeze, I think this might work. And by mid April there will not be much danger of frost even at night.

I have a question very much related to this. If i were to get a bulb or seeds, what is the latest i should wait before forgetting planting them till next year? I'll keep them indoors, but i want them to have correct dormancy cycles...

I see this web site has some nice small pots for about &#36.50 each, but the shipping and handling charge would bring that way up. I will look in the dollar store near my home for small pots.

Back