What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

traps not red

I have two flytraps that have some pink in their mouths.So I think it is a common flytrap.I was just wonder if my plant was in strong sunlight can the red still appear on old fully formed traps?Or does the red only appears on new forming traps?I never made my plants red before so I don't how it turns red.Oh and my plant gets 6hours of sunlight on the window.Is this good enough?

if ur like at the equator its enough but if u r at the northern us or canda, u need more light
smile.gif

I live in southern Canada/ around hamilton and my plat usually gets sun from 7:30am to 8:30-9pm of sunlight and there just a little pink mine will never get too red there are also some vfts that never go any color other then green
sad.gif

If it's warm enough up there you might want to try putting your plants outside sometimes. Mine seem to get a lot more red in the mouths from direct sunlight outside, the sulight through the window does not seem to be as effictive
biggrin.gif

I could give my plant some flouricent light when the sun has almolst set like at 6:30 to 9:30.Will this help it turn red?A bit maybe?

artificial light supplimentation could certainly help, but I think you'll find that even morning and evening sunlight is more powerful than a flourescent.

Is your plant in a souther facing window? If you are in the northern hemisphere, this is best.

Now, also, know that not all flytraps turn red, in fact, typicals will only blush, and even then, some typicals won't blush at all.

I have quite a few typicals outside, getting texas sun, and none of them have more than a blush on their traps.

If you are interested in a trap with lots of red, maybe investigate getting a green dragon from www.petflytrap.com

Can a green dragon turn completly red?I like plants with red traps and green leaves.I think a green dragon would do.

uglypho,
Green Dragons will turn almost as red as the Red Dragon if placed where it will get a lot of direct sunlight. I moved mine to a south window where it gets only a few hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the day it gets really bright indirect sunlight (cuase my neighbors house is only 25' away and has white siding). Now it's new leaves are more green with red traps and midrib, while the old leaves are staying mostly red.

Back