Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traps close, but open quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to know more about these cool little plants, check out The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato at your local library. This is a really cool book with lots of pictures and advice.

SF

P.S. This is not a sales gimmick, I just like his book! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (roswell1329 @ July 23 2003,4<!--emo&[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img])
    2. I just fed my trap yesterday for the first time, and the trap head closed nicely on a small winged thing I thwapped on the head. Today, however, the trap head is open again (slightly), and the insect seems no worse for wear. Is this the VFT's way of telling me, "That tastes TERRIBLE!" ? Do VFT's have insect preferences? [/QUOTE]
    Whats wrong is the VFT has an nice little anti-accident system that keeps it from trying to digest things like rocks, rain, escaped prey ect.. After the trap snaps shut, live prey will struggle to escape, further stimulating the trigger hairs on the inside of the trap thus telling the plant that there is indeed prey inside waiting to be digested. Your dead bug did not stimulate the trigger hairs after being caught and the plants natural response is to reopen thinking it had been falsely triggered. When you feed a dead insect, you have to manually stimulate the trigger hairs with a toothpick or something to encourage the trap to seal and begin digestion.
    For more on this and many other VFT questions check out: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Good luck with your plants
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12