What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing dead bug

• Thread starter Iamlost
  • Start date
tips for removing bug without setting trap

srry bout the last post that is like this one

It isn't neccesary for leftover insects to be removed. It could be hard to do so without triggering the hairs resulting in closing the trap. It's good to leave them since most of the time they attract other insects looking to have a meal out of the dead insect, but they end up becoming dessert for the plant!

You can 'blow it out'

There really isn't a full proof way of doing it without triggering the trap.

In the wild wind will blow the bugs out, or rain...

Don't try to take it out yourself. You will close the trap again
smile.gif

When the trap opens soon after it's munched the insect, I find that spraying the trap sideways with water washes out the insects.

Yea, just keep spraying them till you flood the trap... and if you have it somewhere where that water wont evaporate you can take a kleenex and put it against he corners of the trap's mouth to sop the water out.

If rain doesn't wash them out and they are really stuck, I GENTLY mist the trap and *wait until the husk softens*...when dry they can be reeeally stuck to the trap. Then I direct a VERRRRRY SLOW GENTLE stream from a mister onto the bug. I shoot a couple of times and wait...shoot a few more times. Usually the husk slides out. Once in a while I trigger a trap but most of the time I don't. I feel like if the husk remains, the trap can't close on a fresh bug. A lot of the time rain takes care of it. I also use the mister to rinse peat off the plants that gets splashed on it from rain. I loooove my misters!
smile.gif

Suzanne

I usually put a finger on both sides ofthe base of the plant turn the pot upside down and shake it out.
smile.gif

No don't do that!
smile.gif
I usually just gently mist them too.

Back